Remastered Opeth Records

vvoiceofthesoul

New Metal Member
Dec 27, 2008
I just picked up the MAYH reissue and i'm a bit curious if the other releases have been remastered when they were re-released. please share reports on how the remasters are like. was really considering getting the candlelight box. but then again. vinyl fukking rules.

i got the orchid, MAYH, damanation, BWP re issues there great there all on 180g vinyl and sound amazing im not sure if they were all totally remastered id assume so but i havent heard many of the original vinyl releases to compare them to

Remastering doesn't do anything really, remixing is what really can improve, or change the sound of an album. Remastering is simply taking the already mixed, and saved files, pretty much the same ones you have access to on the CD, and doing simple things like EQ, compression, and stereo imaging to them. I don't think many remasters are worth re-buying the disc, because some simple EQ work on yer home setup to your liking will probably give you similar results.

you mean like the 5.1 mixes?
always thought they were the same.
now i found a great prospect.
the CD/DVD 5.1 Watershed .

Sometimes the vinyl masters sounds different than the cd-masters due to the fact that vinyls get worn and their sound changes over time. Usually they master the vinyls to get a nice sound after a couple of plays.

It depends if the recording was analogue (tape) or digital (hard disk). For analogue recordings many audiophiles prefer the sound of vinyl because it is the original audio signal (ie no analogue to digital conversion has taken place). Also less compression is possible with vinyl because of the limitations of the format. Whether this is a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, but less compression means more dynamic range, which tends to sound better on high class audio equipment.
Not sure what type of recordings Opeth use, all the post MAYH records have been digital recordings anyway I think...

As far as I know none of the re-releases were remastered besides the CD which is included in the Still Life 5.1 re-issue

I didn't think the stereo CD on the Still Life reissue was remastered.
The difference between the two is almost nothing anyway, so if you are going to listen to the music in stereo, go for the CD version, as it is still in lossless 16bit, opposed to the version on the DVD, which uses lossy compression. IMO

I didn't think the stereo CD on the Still Life reissue was remastered.
It was, and has been compressed quite a bit; I prefer the old CD.
The Back on Black vinyl reissues of the first 3 albums sound really bad, EQ'd way too bright. Original CDs don't sound like that. :/

I can confirm that latest BWP and Deliverance vinyl reissues sucks ass... they sound worse than 128 kbit mp3... And I have decent vinyl equipment (AT33PTG stylus, modded Pro-Ject, Phono Box SE etc...)
blue MAYH vinyl sounds like CD and first pressing of Damnation is best new LP I ever owned... much better than CD.

I remember someone sayng that BWP was recorder on analog tape... well... the new vinyl sounds like "remastered" very bad mp3.... nothing like analog audio