Opeth Album Questions

Mountain Man

Blow It All To Hell!
Feb 24, 2002
West Virginia
I bought Orchid and Morningrise (both being the 1997 Century Black releases) without knowing that Candlelight Records
re-released Opeth’s first three albums. Shit, I always do background checks on CD’s before I buy them, but for some reason I didn’t this time. I know that these albums were remastered, have bonus tracks and some expanded artwork. So my question is this, is it worth getting the re-releases? Do the albums really sound better? Does the artwork look better? Opinions are needed. I’m also thinking about selling the two versions of the Opeth’s albums I have if I buy the re-releases. Would anyone be interested in the buying the pair of CD’s from me at one low price (don’t I sound like and TV commercial?) For your information, I keep all my CD’s in pristine condition. I’m going to buy Still Life later today, so is there anything I should know about their being a special version or re-released version of this album? The one that the store has is in a cardboard like case and it has seven tracks. Well, that’s it, thanks for reading.

I have the vinyl versions so I don't know if the sound quality differs, but I don't think it's worth getting the re-releases for the bonus tracks as they all suck!!!!!!!! Their cover of Iron Maiden's "Remember tommorow" is okay, but the original is better in my opinion. The other bonus songs is primitive death metal and is pure shit! I only listened to the bonus songs once as it was that bad!!! :puke:

Well, I have the re-releases of M and MAYH, and a burnt copy of Orchid. I have heard the originals, and there is really no difference in sound. The extra tracks are good, one on M, the demo Eternal Soul Torture, and 2 on MAYH, Circle of Tyrants (a Celtic Frost tribute) and Remember Tomorrow.
If I were you, i'd keep hold of the originals as well getting the re-releases. But, if you are interested in selling the pair, I would definetly buy htem off you. I've looked everywhere for originals, especially Orchid.

Which have you got?

And about Still Life, I don't think it came out as a re-release.

:)

I don't have the original copies of Orchid and Morningrise.
I have 1997 Century Black re-releases, these were released by Century Media's sister label Century Black. The Century Media website: www.centurymedia.com have them for sale. From my understanding the first three albums have three different versions.

#1 being the orginal release
#2 being the Century Black re-releases from 1997 (no bonus tracks or remastered)
#3 being the Candlelight Records re-releases from 2000 with bonus tracks, remastered and expanded artwork.

Well, me and my bro both LOVE Opeth.

He has the original Morningrise and Orchid as well as the Century Black MAYH (couldn't find original).

However, I have BWP and the candlelight re-issues of Morningrise and MAYH (currently looking for the amazing Orchid!)

So, we'll pretty much have both versions....

BTW, the re-release coverart is a tad bit inferior when looked side-by-side with the original.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
I don't have the original copies of Orchid and Morningrise.
I have 1997 Century Black re-releases, these were released by Century Media's sister label Century Black.

If you still want to sell them versions, i'll be quite happy to buy them off you.

And yes Duvall, I'll fight you for it :):p

\m/

Originally posted by Mountain Man
So my question is this, is it worth getting the re-releases? Do the albums really sound better? Does the artwork look better? Opinions are needed. I’m also thinking about selling the two versions of the Opeth’s albums I have if I buy the re-releases. Would anyone be interested in the buying the pair of CD’s from me at one low price (don’t I sound like and TV commercial?) For your information, I keep all my CD’s in pristine condition. I’m going to buy Still Life later today, so is there anything I should know about their being a special version or re-released version of this album? The one that the store has is in a cardboard like case and it has seven tracks. Well, that’s it, thanks for reading.

I've got the re-released versions of the 3 first albums with the bonus tracks. I haven't listened to the original versions so I wouldn't know if they did sound better. About the artwork, I think it's the same thing, including the Opeth logo on top (for the re-releases that is). And I want to buy the original versions too (and keep the cds I already own). I hope I can find them somewhere.. I'm desperate :)
About Still Life: I think there's a re-released version with a cardboard case or something (just like BWP), that's the one I've got. No bonus tracks or anything though..