Removing the finish from the back of my SG's neck

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I've been thinking about it more and more recently. I love everything about the guitar other than the gunk that builds up on the neck. Removing the finish would undoubtedly ruin the value of the guitar, but I'm not sure I care, as I don't ever plan to sell it, and it's a 2005 model so it's not like I'd be ruining a classic or anything. I've heard of people sanding the finish off the necks of Ibanez guitars to make them smoother and faster. In those cases its more than likely just a clear coat they're removing so it probably doesnt have a very dramtic effect on the appearance like it would if I were to do it to my black SG.

Should I do it? What would be the risks? I'm assuming I'd have to oil the bare wood periodically to keep it healthy, but is there anything else I should be aware of? What would be the best way? mask off the neck binding and grab some fine sandpaper and just go for it? I'm not too worried about how it looks in the end, obviously. I miss that guitar but god damn I hate that fucking nitro finish.

Yes, just go nuts with sand paper really.

Did this a few weeks ago

DSC01544.jpg

Started with 220 grit, worked up to 800.

For nitro, I strongly recommend masking off the parts that you want to remain finished, then going over the neck with a rag soaked in acetone. You can sand some at the beginning if you like, but use the acetone to take off the main part of it. You won't run any risk of reshaping your neck, and the paint will come off really quickly. I've used that technique on a number of flying vs with great results.

I just might give it a go. I did some searching around on the net and read that it may be possible to use some super fine steel wool to kind of rough up the clear coat so it feels less sticky and smoother, without totally removing the protective aspects of the finish. Apparently appearance wise it would just kind of take the gloss away. I don't know if it would work for nitro, but I'm guessing it would be best to try that first before I totally strip it. I just have to score some steel wool. And yes, it's a Gibson. Thanks guys! :kickass:

0000 steel wool seems pretty common for this. Or some micro-mesh from Stew-Mac. If it's a real nitro finish, the neck will still need something to protect the wood from humidity and the elements. Mahogany is softer than say maple, so it needs some type of protection still.

-Joe