Rendering question in REAPER

Of Stars

New Metal Member
Nov 18, 2010
I normally record a song as soon as I write it, but I haven't recorded anything in awhile. So I've got enough songs to record an album with my friend. I want to record the whole thing in one session, so I can have fade-ins and overlays leading into the next track. I have yet to record this way, so my question is once you have everything finished, how do you render the tracks separately? I know it's a dumb question, but I've only done a one song per session style recording before. Thanks!

I was looking for something called that first, but all I could find was copy/cut selected area. I found in the render options, after you selected the work area, you have to change it from render entire project, to render time selection and it will fill in the blank space with the selected areas stopping points. Thanks guys!

If you check the render window you'll notice an option to export selected tracks (stems) to individual audio files bearing the names of the session tracks.

This is not what he was looking for, what he needs is to select an area and the in the render menu select to render only selected area.

One thing, you might want to try doing the mixes separately but the mastering all in one session, that way you work doing the fade ins and fade outs and everything while working on completed mixes so it doesn't get all messy with all the tracks and busses etc.

Of course you could also do as you said, just an idea

Okay, say I want to link two songs together with a short crossfade, but I'm uncertain as to the fluency of how to do so.

Let me explain a bit.

I'm doing a simple (Or so I thought, I tend to over-analyze) christmas CD job for a parade float. My client needs 40 minutes of uninterrupted audio and I want to keep the songs separated for quick selection later on. I DO NOT WANT GAPS IN THE AUDIO. One continuous stream cleverly (and covertly) cut into tracks. How do?

EDIT: I obviously am still hooked on phonics. Is that the same thing OP is looking for?

Put all the songs in one session. Edit out your gaps, do your cross fades, etc. Make markers where you want to start/end each track. Highlight your first song from start to first marker. Go to Render, and in the options select "Render Time selection". Render it. Then rinse and repeat from marker to marker.

Pretty sure there's an option under the Render panel that lets you render Markers as seperate tracks, so you'd just insert markers after you have cuts, crossfades, etc, where you'd want the track to change.

There is a tool that renders all regions into separate files and even tags according to the region name, can't remember the name and I haven't tried it, but according to the guys at the reaper forum it seems to be quite good, you could go to the reaper forums and have a look around

At a glance:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16207&highlight=using+regions

Bryan, there is an option to write markers as cues in the WAV file.

And I just found the answer to my original question. By changing the output format in the Render dialogue to "Audio CD Image (CUE/BIN format)" the default track mode is set to "Markers define new tracks". Also, you can opt to have Regions define tracks with all other areas ignored, or as one big track.

At a glance:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16207&highlight=using+regions

Bryan, there is an option to write markers as cues in the WAV file.

And I just found the answer to my original question. By changing the output format in the Render dialogue to "Audio CD Image (CUE/BIN format)" the default track mode is set to "Markers define new tracks". Also, you can opt to have Regions define tracks with all other areas ignored, or as one big track.

Yep, that's what I meant, thanks! I discovered the "Audio CD Imagine" just tinkering around and was like :yow: "Ok, so now i know how to burn an album from Reaper".

By changing the output format in the Render dialogue to "Audio CD Image (CUE/BIN format)" the default track mode is set to "Markers define new tracks". Also, you can opt to have Regions define tracks with all other areas ignored, or as one big track.

That could be quite useful...... thank you!

I didn't even know reaper could create a CD image ! Is this redbook standardized ?
Yes indeed. Reaper even comes with its own CDRecord script, if you want a systematic by-the-book (Redbook, that is. Ah, pun) approach, or you can opt to use your native API for burning a disc.

Handy and simple as hell.