Just switched to Reaper (Export Question)

UMF

Just Another Member
Dec 17, 2011
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone,

quick question about Reaper. I am testing it out at the moment and wanted to know what the best way would be to export my raw sliced up ( edited tracks) to stems, so i can give them somebody to mix!

for example: I just edited the vocals,(fades, removed silence etc...) and now I have 1.3 million items in one track. What is the correct way to export those slices as one full track without changing format etc....????

Is it just File... Render... or is this the wrong way to do it?
Excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to Reaper. So far I like it very much...

Thanks in advance....

Hey everyone,

quick question about Reaper. I am testing it out at the moment and wanted to know what the best way would be to export my raw sliced up ( edited tracks) to stems, so i can give them somebody to mix!

for example: I just edited the vocals,(fades, removed silence etc...) and now I have 1.3 million items in one track. What is the correct way to export those slices as one full track without changing format etc....????

Is it just File... Render... or is this the wrong way to do it?
Excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to Reaper. So far I like it very much...

Thanks in advance....

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I think you just go to File < Render and select stems at the top?

Track > Render/ Freeze Tracks > Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals) will glue the pieces together nicely and export as many tracks as you have selected as separate "track name stem.wav" files in your project directory for easy finding.

you could also select each piece of one track, right click and glue them together. not as easy to find, but effectively turns 1000 pieces into 1.

let me know if that helped!

Track > Render/ Freeze Tracks > Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals) will glue the pieces together nicely and export as many tracks as you have selected as separate "track name stem.wav" files in your project directory for easy finding.

you could also select each piece of one track, right click and glue them together. not as easy to find, but effectively turns 1000 pieces into 1.

let me know if that helped!

Thanks man,

That is the fastest way of doing it. Thanks guys for the help.

I just "Glue" the tracks. Just tracked a 9 song album in Reaper and had to fix alllllll the damn crossfades because of Reaper's weird way of handling time-selected auto-punches, and all the songs were in 1 session, so gluing them was better instead of creating stems as (I think?) stems create a single track from beginning to end of project, and I wanted to have all the spaces in between songs.

Edit: I apparently am too tired to read and comprehend entire posts. Stems would be the way to go with what you're trying to do.

When you glue tracks with fades (say you slip edited drums and have thousands of fades), they are removed before the audio is glued together. This causes audible artifacts.
When you render the track itself it won't remove anything and will provide you with a consolidated track. Don't forget to disable FX on the track before rendering, because it also prints whatever you have on the FX section onto the track.

I'll take this thread to ask another question :
I'm about to finish tracking a 10 songs project and I probably have like 900 fades, but no crossfades.
For, say the left guitar, I have 3 sub-tracks on a bus and use them like this : a clip on the 1st track, the next clip on the 2nd track, 3rd clip on 3rd track [...] so that each clip has spaces between them.
Each of those clip has that small portion used for fades (default settings) and it's very small. I can't hear any gap when listening to 2 clips playing one after the other and therefor see no point of crossfading them..
Would be wise to render as it is ? I'd take the 3 tracks and render as a single .wav and there I'd have my left guitar stem (exported as mono).
I always record the riffs with a little bit of extra time before and after. I don't just punch in and play what's missing. I need to record bars 2 to 4, I'll play the 1st bar and a bit of the 5th one anyway so that it still has the "real" feeling and that if I ever have to crossfade, I have some meat to work with. But yeah, would that be ok or do I absolutely need to crossfade each clip with the other ?

When you glue tracks with fades (say you slip edited drums and have thousands of fades), they are removed before the audio is glued together. This causes audible artifacts.
When you render the track itself it won't remove anything and will provide you with a consolidated track. Don't forget to disable FX on the track before rendering, because it also prints whatever you have on the FX section onto the track.

I doubt that this is correct. Where do you got this from? If you glue items with crossfades together they WON'T be removed, just tested it.

I doubt that this is correct. Where do you got this from? If you glue items with crossfades together they WON'T be removed, just tested it.

I really hope it's not true because I glued 9 songs worth of crossfades and saved session, then sent it off to be edited, mixed and mastered.... Though I could definitely not hear any artifacts.

I really hope it's not true because I glued 9 songs worth of crossfades and saved session, then sent it off to be edited, mixed and mastered.... Though I could definitely not hear any artifacts.

No worries, just tried it with 2 items and to extreme fades as a test, and it leaves them in the glued clip. Maybe you can set it to leave the fades out?

That does not make any sense to me though, unless maybe you have to deal with transients right at the beginning of clips, but then you wouldn't put fades to begin with...

Does somebody have the answer to this as well? To my original question,
for me it is the best to just do file, render.... cause I have my edits of one vocal track for example on 2 tracks. Works for me... Thanks everyone for all the options....

This is what you want:

File -> Consolidate/Export Tracks

Than mess with the options to suite your needs. The options are pretty much self-explanatory.

You can even create another project only with the consolidated files. That would be useful if you don't want to glue everything but still is going to mix yourself without having 1.3 million slices with crossfades, which makes the project slower.

action list, might be an SWS action.

I've been wondering about this, sort of similar. I think I actually made a thread on this a while back and never really got an answer....

Say you have auto-punch time selection enabled and also snapping enabled. You select a few bars for a punch in, record it, then instead of having x-fades you end up with fade-out - fade-in's.

All I want to do is have a default setting to create x-fades for every punch automatically instead of having to go in and drag every single split over a few ms to create a true x-fade.