REAPER question??

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Ok, I'm sure there is a brain dead answer to this question but please be easy on me, I'm just starting up with Reaper.

I recorded some drum tracks in but I punched in the drummer in a separate group of tracks as you can see. What is the easiest way in Reaper to blend those 2 groups of tracks together to form a single group without losing cymbals sustain etc.

reaperio.jpg

Also, another thing I'm sure there is a brain dead way around, how can I improve my workflow for recording on Reaper? I'm sure there has to be a way to punch in drums, guitars, etc in the same track. I tested it out when recording this and it split my drum track into different takes where they overlapped, didnt know exactly how to deal with this so to be safe I just made a new group of drum tracks.

REAPER automatically defaults to splitting takes into lanes. So if you want to simply default to the last take recorded without showing any others then you'll need to create a custom action. Try creating a custom action that combines "Transport: Stop" with "Take: Crop active item in takes" and map it to a shortcut of your choice. This will automatically crop to the last recorded take. I created a "Stop & Crop" custom action for this. If you use "Transport: Stop (save all recorded media)" you bypass the track save confirmation as well.

It's well worth digging into all the options REAPERS actions system gives you. I ended up scrapping all the default options just so I could build my own.

As for your part combination question, that's difficult to advise you on without hearing the parts.

Also, disable "Show overlapping items in lanes" in the Options menu.

To punch in, just set the record mode to "time selection auto punch", make a time selection where you want to punch in, put the edit cursor a couple bars before that point and hit record. It'll automatically punch in at the time selection.

I recommend reading the fucking manual.