How to export Stem files from session.

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
So after one year this band requested me to send them all the tracks from there sessions but i really dont know what the easiet way to do this?
These sessions were in cubase sx3 so how would i export each track of the sessions?

Is there an export option or i hav to export each single tracK?

Thanks

If the dudes work with Cubase too(atleast SX3) you can export .omf.

If not you're a little bit screwed, or buy C5;)

Edit:
Nevermind the .omf...
its not rendered:zombie:

Yeah i didnt hav spell check fuck it just wanted my point across hahaha :p

anyways... they just want the wav tracks i guess....

Consolidating regions in Cubase/Nuendo:

1. Select the Range Tool, and highlight all tracks from 0:00:00.000 through to the very end of the very last region.

2. From the Audio menu, select Bounce and Replace Events.

3. From the File menu, select Save Project to New Folder, and all the new consolidated files will be available in that new project's Audio Files folder. Just be sure to check the box labeled "Remove Unused Media" to ensure only the consolidated files appear in the Audio Files folder.

Might want to save sessions as a different name before you start.

thanks dude ill give that a go... how about in cubase 5 is there an easier way? I say this because in my new machine im running cubase 5 and just incase future bands ask me for their separate tracks i can know how to do it.

in C5 there is the multi export function. haven't used it yet personally so I'm not 100% sure how it works.
pretty much the same as a normal export except you select "batch export" and select which tracks you want. it will export all selected tracks as stereo files.

Has worked well for me.

Consolidating regions in Cubase/Nuendo:

1. Select the Range Tool, and highlight all tracks from 0:00:00.000 through to the very end of the very last region.

2. From the Audio menu, select Bounce and Replace Events.

3. From the File menu, select Save Project to New Folder, and all the new consolidated files will be available in that new project's Audio Files folder. Just be sure to check the box labeled "Remove Unused Media" to ensure only the consolidated files appear in the Audio Files folder.

Might want to save sessions as a different name before you start.

Nice one;)

Coool so when u guys export the files u guys usually expoort them stereo or mono???

Mono for mono material and stereo for stereo material.:)
I hate when I get a complete sesion bounced in stereo!!! You need 1hour minimum for re bounce everything:cry:

In Cubase 5, the damn tacks will all be stereo if they are bussed to a stereo out. It also retains panning information and any plugins or fader positions you have on there.

So basically you can sum the tracks as is and get the mix. And last time I did stems was in Cubase 5.1 or whatever. In 5.5 this might have been fixed.

To get mono tracks, you have to send all the mono channels to a mono output.

Then of course if you want them to be raw files you have to reset the mixer.

So for me in Cubase 5, I do:

1. Save As a new session
2. Reset the mixer
3. Set a mono output
4. Send mono tracks to mono output. (Select tracks using shift, hold down ALT-Shift when selecting output to change them all at once).
5. Batch export.

I never knew the waltz mastering way. That is downright brilliant. If you are doing only audio, that might still be better than Batch Export. Batch Export is cool since it will render VSTi's and such too.

Or you can send processed tracks which is cool for collaboration and tracking at other studios of if the changes are minor to the mix (ie. hot vocal radio edit, instrumentals, etc.)

the way Waltz Mastering wrote will give you the completely raw, unprocessed files. So any plugins you've put on the individual tracks will NOT be saved when you bounce.

I've always made stems this way. But to be sure, I'd ask the band if they want the processed stem files (i.e. each track as it's own wav in the way it sounded on their finished project) or the raw, unprocessed files (which could sound significantly different than the finished product).