REQ - Sub Drop Sample

Rumble

In Ruins
Jul 12, 2003
Alberta Canada
www.fallenvictim.com
Alright I'm requesting a sample for a killer sub drop sound ala Chimaira/SYL that I can insert into my mixes. I have a couple, but they don't seem to ride the low frequencies properly. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

NathanSoulfracture said:
Use Soundforge to create a Sine Wave at 80Hz then just fade it out to how you want it and place it in your track.

I used Absynth 3 to create a bunch of sine waves once, that was the easy part.

The hard part was mixing. The drop will boost my peaks by like 6dB when I place it in a track. I can't figure out how to do it. Master volume automation, duck the rest of the tracks when the bass drop hits?

Or maybe mix the song down to a stereo file and place a bass drop in a seperate track and sidechain a compressor to duck the music when the bass drop hits?

!?

stringy_ said:
I used Absynth 3 to create a bunch of sine waves once, that was the easy part.

The hard part was mixing. The drop will boost my peaks by like 6dB when I place it in a track. I can't figure out how to do it. Master volume automation, duck the rest of the tracks when the bass drop hits?

Or maybe mix the song down to a stereo file and place a bass drop in a seperate track and sidechain a compressor to duck the music when the bass drop hits?

!?
i'd say get one good one, export it as a wav, then just import it whenever you feel the need for an aural earthquake

I use an EQ like that very often:

subkick_eq.jpg

Boosts the relevant frequencies nicely and cuts any extraneous stuff.

Stringy: when you get that boost that maybe because your speakers do not represent the relevant subfrequencies properly (or the room cancels them somewhat). That might prompt you to raise the level of the subhit higher than necessary. If possible try a mix on a PA (at your rehearsal room or in a club) and you will see how well the subs come out. I am always amazed when I hear my tracks at parties how slaying the ultralows are. I rarely compress the subs extra. They go to the main drum buss and get compressed there.