Request for a concert DVD/CD from the upcoming tour

Here's what I think would be a great setlist for a DVD show with a live orchestra. There's nothing too crazy in it, a bunch of epics sprinkled with some more recent tracks. I think Communion and the Oracle through Lacrymosa is basically a 5 part epic on par or better than The Odyssey. There's not much here from before V, just The Accolade. I had tried to get Through the Looking Glass on there, but it just started to get too long. This setlist, as is, is about an hour and 45 minutes.

1. Oculus Ex Inferni
2. Iconoclast
3. King of Terrors
4. Revelation / Paradise Regained
5. The End of Innocence
6. Communion and the Oracle
7. The Bird-Serpent War / Cataclysm
8. On the Breath of Poseidon
9. Egypt
10. Death of Balance / Lacrymosa
11. Eve of Seduction
12. Accolade Medley
13. Electric Messiah
14. The Odyssey

Divine Wings and Looking Glass have to be in!

I'm also not sure how Eve of Seduction and Electric Messiah (particularly the latter) would fit into an orchestrated set. You mentioned Heretic earlier, which while I don't think it would fit very well, would definitely make more sense than Electric Messiah. Some may also question King of Terrors, although I think it would fit. Also, as much as I prefer the older songs that are similar to it, When All Is Lost would probably work well with an orchestra.

That said, a few songs that I think would work great with an orchestra:

Candlelight Fantasia
Church of the Machine
Fallen
The Walls of Babylon

I just really like Electric Messiah and would like to have it on a live DVD; with less orchestra, the best place for it would be right before the big epic intro of The Odyssey. Eve of Seduction is in there because it's just a fast fun one to play after the big V section and I didn't have much from Paradise Lost in the set. Walls of Babylon would be a good one, but I didn't want to fill the whole set with all the lengthy songs. And King of Terrors has lots of stuff like strings and choirs in it. It would sound so much bigger and fuller with a real orchestra. I was trying to keep the setlist kind of more modern with some heavy stuff, because I think that'd be more realistic, representative of what the band would want to play these days. Although I love V so I of course made that the centerpiece. With all those segues, it would be awesome with an orchestra.

you mean a double gig with different sets like Queensryche for "live evolution"
or Pendragon,then who's the lucky town in which they will play it ?europe or USA ?
Two different dates... two different places. Idea:
Part 1, the classics. Shot in Europe, the Old World.
Part 2, the newer stuff. America, ze New World.

Ta-ruddy-daah. Awesomeness prevails.

In an interview around the time Iconoclast was released, Russ hinted at wanting to do some "special" shows on the next tour (my guesses are in NY, LA, and hopefully Chicago) that will be filmed for DVD, maybe even with orchestral accompaniment.

Symphony X music and an orchestra, this is the closest thing we've ever had!

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of SX playing with a live orchestra doesn't thrill me at all to be honest. The fusion of (prog) metal and live orchestra has hardly ever worked out. A "regular" live concert, just a little longer (2 hours plus) and with some unexpected songs thrown in, is all I'd want from SX.

If they wanted to do it with a live orchestra, wouldn't they need a choir as well? It would be cool to do it with an orchestra, but it seems like they could only do so many songs with one, unless they played a lot of stuff from V.

They really should just play all of V with an orchestra/choir. But given how MJR and Russ don't really like that album (and how those two are pretty much exclusively calling the shots, or so it seems), it would be doubtful.

i really want these band to release a live DVD, i am waiting these band to release a live DVD since they release the Epic album "The Odyssey" and i hope that if they do recorded a concert to a Live DVD, they will put "The Odyssey" song to the set list :)