Request for a concert DVD/CD from the upcoming tour

Lagtastic

I lag in real life
Jun 29, 2011
Putting in a request for a live concert DVD/CD this time around. I had so much fun last tour. I took off work and went to the last 3 USA shows as they were all in driving distance. I know that MJR is not a fan of bootlegs, and I can completely understand why. There is no quality control, it is completely out of the bands hands, and I 100% feel that the band and its promoters deserve to make money from any concert footage. I think this would be a great way to continue to generate more fans and show the world how good of a live act SX has become.

We've got a great live album of some of the older classics, now let's get one of the newer more heavy material. It doesn’t need fancy camera work or expensive/time consuming production. All it would really need is a direct soundboard recording, one HD camera setup on a tripod next to the soundboard, and one HD camera operated by a cameraman for some closeup shots on the stage. If we got a good live DVD from this tour, I think it would help minimize bad bootlegs, as there would be no need for them.

We've got a great live album of some of the older classics, now let's get one of the newer more heavy material.

Meh. I think the newer, heavier stuff is decent, but for the band's first DVD, I want the classics. A couple songs each from PL and Iconoclast I'd be okay with (read: Babylon, Revelation, Iconoclast, When All Is Lost, Prometheus), but I want some classic epics and heavier tunes. Dressed, Accolade Medley, Divine Wings, Candlelight, Church, Looking Glass, Communion, Egypt, Rediscovery, Wicked, King, Awakenings, and The Odyssey NEED to be on a DVD recording.

Putting in a request for a live concert DVD/CD this time around. I had so much fun last tour. I took off work and went to the last 3 USA shows as they were all in driving distance. I know that MJR is not a fan of bootlegs, and I can completely understand why. There is no quality control, it is completely out of the bands hands, and I 100% feel that the band and its promoters deserve to make money from any concert footage. I think this would be a great way to continue to generate more fans and show the world how good of a live act SX has become.

We've got a great live album of some of the older classics, now let's get one of the newer more heavy material. It doesn’t need fancy camera work or expensive/time consuming production. All it would really need is a direct soundboard recording, one HD camera setup on a tripod next to the soundboard, and one HD camera operated by a cameraman for some closeup shots on the stage. If we got a good live DVD from this tour, I think it would help minimize bad bootlegs, as there would be no need for them.

yes; I agree; that would be very cool; PLUS; if MJR and co. would put out a DVD tutorial; MJR has some stuff on youtube which is super cool but more recent would be great. They all have much to offer us musician wannabes yknow.

If they ever release a live DVD, it will have to be a double one. List of the songs I'd like them to record:

I
1)Oculus ex Inferni
2)Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
3)Smoke and Mirrors
4)The Accolade
5) Accolade II
6)Egypt
7)Serpent's Kiss
8)The End of innocence
9)Awakenings
10)A Lesson Before Dying
11)Candlelight Fantasia
12)The Walls of Babylon
13)Through the Looking Glass (Part I, II, III)
14)A Winter's Dream - Prelude (Part I)
15)A Winter's Dream - The Ascension (Part II)
16)The Odyssey

II
1)Prelude
2)Evolution (The Grand Design)
3)Domination
4)Inferno (Unleash The Fire)
5)Church of the Machine
6)Masquerade
7)The Edge of Forever
8)Iconoclast
9)Of Sins and Shadows
10)Communion and the Oracle
11)The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm
12)Wicked
13)Paradise Lost
14)Electric Messiah
15) Fallen
16)Reign in Madness
17)Sea of Lies
18)The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Haha, that is an insane set list! Provided this was one show, I'm pretty sure Rullo would keel over and die from exhaustion somewhere around the beginning of the second set.

Symphony X have stated before that they "are not the kind of band" that would play 4-hour shows like Dream Theater used to. I also don't see them learning 30+ songs for one tour and mixing them up each night (also like DT used to do). If they ever record a live DVD, I'd expect 15-18 songs tops, and even that's probably stretching it.

I think they will release a dvd from this tour with tracklist including most
songs from "Iconoclast" ,and it will be good for me .They played old stuff
in all these years, and this time they've got a new cd,they've got time for
other old songs maybe in a festival (Wacken,gods of metal ) or in a time when
they've nothing new coming out. Anyway,the best for me is seeing them headliner and not supporting other bands or coheadlining them,they are the
best and they deserve to play longer time. I'm happy that in europe they will
be supported by Pagan's mind and DGM, I couldn't ask more

^

LOL. I think that would qualify as at least five different DVD's.

2 hours each DVD.

Haha, that is an insane set list! Provided this was one show, I'm pretty sure Rullo would keel over and die from exhaustion somewhere around the beginning of the second set.

Symphony X have stated before that they "are not the kind of band" that would play 4-hour shows like Dream Theater used to. I also don't see them learning 30+ songs for one tour and mixing them up each night (also like DT used to do). If they ever record a live DVD, I'd expect 15-18 songs tops, and even that's probably stretching it.

Yeah, it should be recorded on two different dates.

you mean a double gig with different sets like Queensryche for "live evolution"
or Pendragon,then who's the lucky town in which they will play it ?europe or USA ?

Im starting to think this will never happen. I shall die without a proper SX DVD. They´ve been trying to do one for at least 10 years and nothing.
Not even the new label will be able to do more than "just a gig well recorded" like SX say they wont do. They want something special for the DVD, well, the special thing will be that they will be the first great metal band to not have a DVD.
and no, Live on the Edge of Forever wasnt a DVD.

In an interview around the time Iconoclast was released, Russ hinted at wanting to do some "special" shows on the next tour (my guesses are in NY, LA, and hopefully Chicago) that will be filmed for DVD, maybe even with orchestral accompaniment.

A "normal" gig recorded in high-quality video with the setlist being 75% of PL and IC songs doesn´t excite me too much either...

SX with an orchestra... sounds really awesome, but could be ruined, again, by a bad setlist... But, doing some math, we can notice that it would be ridiculously sensless to play with an orchestra some songs that doesn´t have keyboards at all. So, here can we expect the opposite way, more "Middle Half" SX, and that sounds just great, maybe with one or two songs that they have never played live...

But my true thoughts are... how about a live DVD with new material??? it could be just a song, or an EP, or a complete album with full orchestral concept, I think it would be great and fits the idea of the "special" DVD that the band wants. Believe me please that I now the difficulty level of this... but... I was just wandering...

Note: I think I´m allowed to propose the last two options (the EP or the album), as I really don´t expect to have a SX´s official DVD in my hands before the end of the world (12/2012) :(

A "normal" gig recorded in high-quality video with the setlist being 75% of PL and IC songs doesn´t excite me too much either...

With the other 25% probably being Of Sins and Shadows, Inferno, Smoke and Mirrors, Evolution, and Sea of Lies...

They really need more older stuff in the set, and by "older" I mean anything pre-PL. Since their next tour is obviously in support of Iconoclast, I do expect them to play about half of that album. But if they're going to do that, I think one song from PL tops should be in the set. On their last tour, half of the set was composed of PL songs!

Based on what Russel was saying about doing a set accompanied by an orchestra for the DVD, I would guess the setlist would be quite different than what we usually see when on tour. They'd be able to play a lot of the more orchestral stuff that they can't usually play on tour. Odyssey would obviously be on it and probably even some Accolade, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'd actually get to see a good portion of V (including some segues). Some of the more epic recent material would probably be there as well, like Oculus and Iconoclast, I'm sure. Heretic even has the possibility for a live orchestra backing. I doubt the setlist would be full of Sins and Shadows, Serpent's Kisses and Dehumanizeds.

While Heretic is my least favorite song on the album, it's one of the only three songs on it that I can pick out orchestration on, the others being the title track and When All Is Lost. When All Is Lost is mostly just strings, though, at least the other two have bits of choir here and there.