Resemblances or "Rip-offs"

HAemlock

Aurora Borealis
May 31, 2009
Listening to one of my favourites bands, I've found that some melodies of riffs on the songs of CoB are very similar to others melodies/riffs in other songs by others artists (such as Pantera, Mozart).

I make a list of the resemblances i've found on the net and alone.

Something Wild:
In the Shadows

Band : Darkthrone
Song : Transilvanian Hunger

• • •

Band : Bathory
Song : One Rode to Asa Bay

Artist : Yngwie Malmsteen
Song : Far Beyond the Sun
(And some other parts)
Composer : J.S. Bach
Work : Invention 13

Composer : Mozart
Work : Symphony No.25

Work : Confutabis (Requiem)

• • •

Lake Bodom

Song : Rising Force

• • •

The Nail

Band : Nuclear Assault
Song : Vengeance

• • •

Part : 2:03 - 2:10

Composer : J.S. Bach
Work : Toccata and Fugue

• • •

Part : 5:56 - 6:20
Song : Far Beyond the Sun

Work : Queen of the Night Aria

• • •

Black Widow :

Work : Concerto 20 KV 466

I will add the Wrath Within parst when I will have find again the riffs/melodies (Stone)

(Wrath Within's 1st solo is a bit similar to the "Sweet Dreams" solo of Stone, and I think the classical parts on the Dual Solo is similar to a Malmsteen's solo)

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Follow the Reaper:
Bodom After Midnight

Band : King Diamond
Song : On the Other Side

• • •

Composer : Hans Zimmer
Song : The Rock Theme

• • •

Hate Me!

Band : Manowar
Song : Violence and Bloodshed

• • •

Kissing the Shadows :

Hate Crew Deathroll
Sixpounder

Band : Pantera
Song : A New Level

Bodom Beach Terror

Band : Carcass
Song : Corporeal Jigsore Quandary

Part : 1:07 - 1:40

Band : Dissection
Song : Where Dead Angels Lie

• • •

You're Better Off Dead

Band : Scorpions
Song : Don't Stop at the Top (sorry, I can't find a video for the original version)

• • •

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood:

• • •

Band : Dissection
Song : Night's Blood

• • •

• • •

(and I find that the intro riff of Needled is similar to the intro of Silent Scream by Slayer)

Are You Dead Yet?
Living Dead Beat :

Band : Rapture
Song : Misery 24/7

(Rapture's album was realised before AYDY)

• • •

Are You Dead Yet?

Band : Sytem Of A Down
Song : Roulette (That's not a joke ^^)

• • •

In Your Face :

Song : Use My Third Arm

• • •

Punch me I Bleed :

Song : Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks

• • •

Trashed, Lost & Strungout

Band : Slipknot
Song : (sic)

Blooddrunk

Smile Pretty for the Devil

Band : Ministry
Song : Rio Grande Blood

• • •

Blooddrunk

Band : King Diamond
Song : The Ritual

(If you find other similar stuff I will add them to the list)​

Note :
This isn't a thread against CoB, I think when they composed their songs they've created some riffs/melodies that are more or less similar to other stuffs involuntarily (may be they have listened to this stuff and was inspired by them unconsciously, except the classical stuff)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, definitely some similarity amongst these.

The Manowar and Hate Me ones are really similar in the part showed, but I already knew about that one and the classical pieces on something wild etc.

There should be a list made of people who have later similar riffs to Bodom.
mmm

Ya, the chorus of "Pinball Map" by In Flames sounds like (a little) "Silent Night, Bodom Night" at 0:52

Awesome job, dude! Some fantastic new finds; I don't know my King Diamond and I think those seemed pretty obvious, especially considering that they had recorded the KD cover that was never released just a little before they started working on FTR.

I laughed hard at the "In the cold winds of nowhere one" - for 2 seconds I didn't know if I was listening to the Bodom track or the Dissection one. Know the feeling when you watch a movie with a Bodom movie quote in and it feels like it has nothing to do with the movie but that someone has dubbed a few seconds of the audio track with a clip from a Bodom CD? :loco:

I don't really agree with for instance the In Your Face one, it's not really that close and almost every band has a similar part in their songs! Even Nightwish! I think it's somewhere in the middle of Romanticide or some other song from Once.

Some others not mentioned yet off the top of my head:

Don't Stop At The Top - You're Better Off Dead pre chorus melody (anyone noticed this before btw?), Miami Vice ones (Flashback - Hate Me!, Tubbs and Valerie - Angels Don't Kill, (maybe Evan - Downfall)), Pantera's A New Level is basically Sixpounder with BBT solo:danceboy: , Rapture's Misery 24/7 starts with a very similar melody to LDB (yeah it's fairly simple but it came out through Spinefarm records at the exact time when AYDY was being composed), Annihilator's King Of The Kill reminds me a lot of Chokehold but I can't remember if there's some certain part, Dissection's Nights Blood - LBRH chorus, SOAD Roulette - AYDY pre chorus, Slipknot (sic) - TL&S 'breakdown'

I can't remember exactly what all Stone references I've found from Wrath Within, that song sounds more like Stone than Stone ever did themselves! I think the solo was pretty close to Sweet Dreams and the riff after that is in some song but I just can't put my finger on which one it was.. I'll check later if no one else can find it!

Has anyone noticed anything on Blooddrunk? There's the Laid To Rest/Blooddrunk similarity thing going on but it's not really the same thing. And the Waltari track Hevosenkuva / Roadkill but that was done on purpose (see the latest Alexi interview by Zarok if you have no idea what I'm talking about!).

Irenicus said:
Can anyone think of melodies by other bands that sound like COB??

Kalmah's Man Of The King starts almost exactly the same as If You Want Peace, just slower. It kinda sounds like as if they were trying to make fun of COB!

I've added for bloodrunk the rip off of Ministry, thanks a lot for the other rips offs I'm adding them, but for the In Your Face rip off, to me I think it's quite similar for the drums/guitars and structure, and as CoB has been also inspired by Pantera (see the Punch me I Bleed rip off).

Does anybody know what are the inspired classical works for the Black Widow Bridge, the Black Widow Dual Solo (Mozart I think), and if the Harpsichord interlude in Children of Bodom (song) is original or that's also a rip-off ?

hehe thanks I knew I heard those classical parts somewhere before! I still like them though. Yeah! every musician has influences!

Does anybody know what are the inspired classical works for the Black Widow Bridge, the Black Widow Dual Solo (Mozart I think), and if the Harpsichord interlude in Children of Bodom (song) is original or that's also a rip-off ?
I know the black widow bridge is from Mozart, but I'm not sure what song. There's also a part in RLIME2 from :26 to :40 or so that is ripped from this mozart song.

Well, ones that sound similar TO bodom.

Aborted's Pestificious Subterfuge (the beginning riff) sounds very very similar to In Your Face (also the beginning riff).

Well, ones that sound similar TO bodom.

Aborted's Pestificious Subterfuge (the beginning riff) sounds very very similar to In Your Face (also the beginning riff).

Yeah but CoB didn't rip that song because it was realised (Strychnine.213 album) in 2008
But yeah it sounds a bit similar, but the IYF riff is pretty simple, with one note, a lot of bands use this kind of riff

For Black Widow's Bridge & interlude, I've found the classical stuff : Mozart Concerto 20 KV 466 (Links added)
I still have to find the Wrath Within's similar riffs & melodies

(Part 2:44 - 2:50 ; I've already heard this but I can't remember what is the song and the artist, I think it was Yngwie Malmsteen)

i was listening to dissection just now

is that bodom beach terror at around 1:57, or am i reaching?

I didn't notice that the chorus of Where dead angels lie is quite similar to BBT Chorus, the strucute is the same and some notes are the same in the lead part ... thanks Physics

Are You dead yet[roope's part]

4:26 - 4:39

Implosion of heaven
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYx5lgt40Q&feature=related[/ame]

2:26 - 2:50

Not a real rip-oss 'cause it's always cob but i still posted it

FUCK guys. This is something 'else'!!

It struck me this mysterious piano at 0:38 - 0:41 seemed deeply familiar... I believe this tiny section amidst all the piano is the source of the eerily pretty musical idea that sprouts to a gloomy flourish.

I dug my mind till my head hurt until I figured it's all over this fucking song! This fucking guy! Never underestimate a person that looks like Jesus. No, jokes aside, this is a melodically sweet track and there's many versions of it.

Metal artists sure love Mozart, starting from 2:22:

same part RLIME pt.2 used.