Resonance "Best Of" release..

jesse

living, breathing
Apr 29, 2001
Solitary Refinement
www.daylightdies.com
I just got my hands on the new Anathema 'best of' release, "Resonance", which apparently is the first installment of two best ofs coming from Peaceville - this one containing music in the Eternity-AFDTE vein, and the other one which will containing music from the growling phase of Anathema.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of 'best ofs', considering they are usually not of value to a fan who owns all the CDs already, but this is NOT the case with 'Resonance'. If you are a fan of the material from Eternity onward, you will _really_ enjoy this release. It's got tons of rare tracks, and alternate versions of songs. Mainly it's a pretty SOFT album, relaxing and smooth the whole way through. Towards the end is a very RAW recording of Angelica live in Budapest Hungary from 1997... while it is very raw (sounds like it's recorded by a fan with a tape recorder in the audience) it really captures a very special atmosphere and mood... special is the main word here for this release.

Of course, if you think 'The Silent Enigma' and the other previous albums are the only "good" Anathema, then steer clear of this entirely..

From where are the first few tracks of Resonance derived? I own all the Anathema albums from The Silent Enigma onwards so I'm assuming songs like 'Scars of the Old Stream', 'Everwake' and the one with the French title (It's upstairs and I can't be bothered ascending to check)....

Because if they're from early releases I want to get them. Incredible tracks.

In fact the entire package of Resonance is amazing. Although not an album proper, it would have to be one of my all time favourite Anathema disks.

From where are the first few tracks of Resonance derived? I own all the Anathema albums from The Silent Enigma onwards so I'm assuming songs like 'Scars of the Old Stream', 'Everwake' and the one with the French title (It's upstairs and I can't be bothered ascending to check)....

"Everwake" is from their debut "The Crestfallen" and the rest two are from "Serenades" However, those tracks do not represent the style of those two albums even they are classic british doom-death at its best.

Originally posted by forlorn soul
If you are a fan of the material from Eternity onward, you will _really_ enjoy this release. It's got tons of rare tracks, and alternate versions of songs. Mainly it's a pretty SOFT album, relaxing and smooth the whole way through. Towards the end is a very RAW recording of Angelica live in Budapest Hungary from 1997... while it is very raw (sounds like it's recorded by a fan with a tape recorder in the audience) it really captures a very special atmosphere and mood... special is the main word here for this release

Wow, cool :) I always like alternate versions to see how they do songs differently. What kinda thibng? Are they acoustic/orchestral?

I have just wandered into your forum. Its big!
Horses was first called by our mate, Digger. Then we all joined in and thousands of the most wierd and wonderful animals came galloping from the furthest reaches.
Danny smoked dogshit. Yes, the terrible truth is out. Sorry Danny. It wasn't me who prepared it though. I'm just the one breaking the sad news.
Mags, the engineer said it smelled like Macdonalds but it was the shit dc was pulling on!
There were a load of hilarious pictures drawn.
Then Horses was sung. Mick said the hooves sounded "real bunduri, like". That was also hilarious. Then he gave us all mushrooms.
Nice.

Originally posted by mega

"Everwake" is from their debut "The Crestfallen" and the rest two are from "Serenades" However, those tracks do not represent the style of those two albums even they are classic british doom-death at its best.

Yeah, that's what threw me with those first few tracks, because I've heard some of the older stuff and it was clearly different. The production on those songs is incredible... From what I've heard from Serenades etc. the production doesn't sound all that great, so it's strange the differing quality.