restringing a guitar

666Pounder!!!

New Metal Member
Aug 26, 2007
Modesto, CA
i am a vocalist and a drummer and im starting to learn the guitar, but alas, one of my strings broke! and i am very new to guitars and dont know much so i was wondering how i would go about re-stringing it. can anyone help me out and lead me in the right direction?

also, 2 questions:

1. what do most black and death metal bands have their guitars tuned to?

2. what is a sticky thread?

If you search how 2 string a guitar on Google, A good guide will always come up.

Also a good tip is if your gonna completely re-string your guitar, dont take all the strings off at once, take them off one at a time.

As in, take one off and put a new one in its place before taking off the next. Reason for this is: It helps cos you can look at how the other strings are on the guitar and try to mimic them. And, it keeps pressure and strain on the neck, if you take them all off, the pull on the neck is gone and it could possibly warp the neck of your guitar.

If you can't figure it out or your having doubts, DO NOT try and string it yourself. Take it into a local guitar shop and ask them to string it.

PS: Black metal bands are usually Drop C, if not, Drop D.
Also Sabbath and AC/DC tune their guitars different.

Expertvillage.com is a great place for all sorts of guitar tutorial videos. it has a guide for stringing.
Black and death metal can be tuned anywhere from standard to A# standard.If a lot of low power chords are played drop tuning is good.The most common i've seen is D standard.
And a sticky thread is a thread that is at the top of the page and doesn't move.

You must learn to string it yourself if you can, especially for cleaner music. It is very easy. Strings go dead fast. I usually don't even clip the ends anymore because I change mine almost twice a month. Don't worry too much. I changed the strings on my first guitar just by figuring it out myself; not much to it really.