Im a newb to tuning

Brakk

May 15, 2007
Ive always had an E tuner that I use on the biggest string, and then tune all the other strings starting from there by ear.. and I know about all that

But lately ive been getting curious about types of tunings.. mostly I play thrash so my tuning always matched up with the songs, but when I want to play death metal I cant because im tuned too high.

So basically what Im wondering is, what are the names of tunings?
What tuning do most death metal bands use?

What is a good priced tuner that I can tune my guitar with?

get a $20 korg tuner, they have them in every guitar store. It'll do downtuning as well.

Standard is E A D G B E
One step down is D G C F A D
And so on...easy to figure out.
You can also just tune to D A D G B E (drop D), which will allow you to play root 6 power chords with one finger. A lot of thrashy dudes use this. Personally, I prefer having the whole guitar being in the same tuning, so I usually tune to standard or D. Personal preference.

Anyhow, a Korg tuner will cover you down to B. You can also get a chromatic tuner pedal from Boss, which is more expensive. Those will do anything. A Korg tuner is my recommendation.

Bands that use D:
Vital Remains
Necrophagist
Motley Crue

I assume with VR and Necrophagist that this is only on some songs

Bands that use C:
Bullet for my Emo
Avenged 7x
Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Devildriver
Disturbed
Job for a cowboy
Killswitch Engage
Mudvayne
Rammstein
Shadows Fall

Most (not all) of these bands suck...notice a general pattern?
Note that most of these bands alternate with D

Bands that use B
Limp Bizkit
Through The Eyes Of The Dead
Machinehead

Drop A:
Nile
Nasum
Shitnot

Anyhow...most death metal bands are probably gonna be in C, but you don't have to just to get a heavy sound. The right distortion settings will take care of it...

Most metal bands will either use an equivalent of standard tuning, or dropped tuning. Personally, I prefer standard tunings, because it's easier to play chords on the lower strings that way, but it's really up to you. There are also open tunings and other obscure tuning methods, but they aren't very common in metal.

Most stuff that I play is D standard ( D G C F A D) B standard (B E A D F# B) or C standard (C F A# D# G C). And I have a seven string that is mostly tuned down to A D G C F A D.

Also, I drunk, so didn't really read any other posts but... if someone starts flaming tunings lower than D standard. Psht.

get a $20 korg tuner, they have them in every guitar store. It'll do downtuning as well.

Standard is E A D G B E
One step down is D G C F A D
And so on...easy to figure out.
You can also just tune to D A D G B E (drop D), which will allow you to play root 6 power chords with one finger. A lot of thrashy dudes use this. Personally, I prefer having the whole guitar being in the same tuning, so I usually tune to standard or D. Personal preference.

Anyhow, a Korg tuner will cover you down to B. You can also get a chromatic tuner pedal from Boss, which is more expensive. Those will do anything. A Korg tuner is my recommendation.

Bands that use D:
Vital Remains
Necrophagist
Motley Crue

I assume with VR and Necrophagist that this is only on some songs

Bands that use C:
Bullet for my Emo
Avenged 7x
Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Devildriver
Disturbed
Job for a cowboy
Killswitch Engage
Mudvayne
Rammstein
Shadows Fall

Most (not all) of these bands suck...notice a general pattern?
Note that most of these bands alternate with D

Bands that use B
Limp Bizkit
Through The Eyes Of The Dead
Machinehead

Drop A:
Nile
Nasum
Shitnot

Anyhow...most death metal bands are probably gonna be in C, but you don't have to just to get a heavy sound. The right distortion settings will take care of it...

Thanks to you especially and everyone else, this really helped me out

yeah, most DM bands play in D or Db. i like E or B. basically i keep my guitars tuned standard. so my 5+ string basses/7 string guitars are tuned to B because thats the standard tuning. and 2 of my 3 6 stringers are tuned to E, and one to D

also,l morbid angel plays in B most of the time, but on 7's, which is really the way to go if you want to play that low.
~gR~

C standard (C F A# D# G C)
For all practical purposes the A# and D# should be Bb and Eb, unless you play predominantly in major keys.
yeah, most DM bands play in D or Db.
Haha, same thing again. If you're playing metal, you're probably using minor and phrygian rather than major, so Db tuning should really be considered C#.