retro hard rock

schust

Oct 24, 2007
soundcloud.com
not sure if that's a real term or not, but i hate the phrase "80's hard rock". (i'd like to think it's slightly more up to date than that, but can't deny there are some serious parallels...)

any feedback would be mucho appreciated!

older guys on the forum may find some personal enlightenment with this one. younger guys... well, perhaps what you have to look forward to. :heh:

thanks in advance.
mark

http://www.markbschuster.com/mp3/bitterman_x.mp3

dude i like it but would be better with a real tube amp sounds like pod vocals sound great can you give some details (mic-soundcard) good job on the mix...

dude i like it but would be better with a real tube amp sounds like pod vocals sound great can you give some details (mic-soundcard) good job on the mix...

thanks zak. yea, podxt w/ impulses. would love to own an amp again, just not possible right now. may have to explore renting one for the next CD and a big ass warehouse with no one around for miles! :headbang:

vox were recorded with a behringer b-2 pro condensor -> RNP preamp -> VS ROLAND 1824 recorder. Mixed in Reaper.

I like it! I just want to give my ears a little time to "cool off" from working on other stuff, then give this a really good listening. But from first listen, nice job!

I wouldnt call this 80's, its more early 90's alternarock.
And I think everything is soooo far back in the mix, its just a big muddy hole.

And im not sure, because my hearing has been f-ed up today, but the vocals seems abit out of tune at times, so does the guitar.

I wouldnt call this 80's, its more early 90's alternarock.
hmmm, haven't heard that one before. "alternarock"? what's that?

And I think everything is soooo far back in the mix, its just a big muddy hole.

are you referring to excessive verb, too much buildup in the mid-low freqs or both? i generally try to be very conservative with my use of verb, but i'll take another peek. as for mud, that's certainly possible. i'll put the scope on and see what sticks out.

And im not sure, because my hearing has been f-ed up today, but the vocals seems abit out of tune at times, so does the guitar.

it's most likely the bass that's outta tune. it's a cheap ibanez and i was too much of a lazy ass to correct some intonation issues. i may re-record it.

as for the vox, hadn't notice. anybody else hear the vox goin' outta tune?

hmmm, haven't heard that one before. "alternarock"? what's that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock

are you referring to excessive verb, too much buildup in the mid-low freqs or both? i generally try to be very conservative with my use of verb, but i'll take another peek. as for mud, that's certainly possible. i'll put the scope on and see what sticks out.

Not really the verb, but rather the levels, and it seems like the bass fills out all the room in the song, not leaving any space left for the other instruments.
The vocals are PERFECT, but the rest is very unbalanced.

it's most likely the bass that's outta tune. it's a cheap ibanez and i was too much of a lazy ass to correct some intonation issues. i may re-record it.

When I listened to it again i actually noticed that its an intonation problem in your guitar that shows in some chords.
Probably that combined with the guitar that fools my sence of pitch to feel that the vocals are out of pitch sometimes too.

So too give you something more to go by:
The vocals are good, and so are the drums.
What you need to take a look at is the bass and the guitar, because they are really unbalanced.

I think you need to pull of some bass on the guitar, and lower the level on the bassguitar a little.

A method I use quite often is that I try to match the levels of the bass with the kick, and the level of the guitar with the snare.
It doesnt work all the time, but often.

Edit: Changed to the right URL.
Edit2: Apperantly its called Alterantive Metal, check out Alter Bridge, its a band consisting of the same people as creed, and thats the sound I was thinking of.