Retro Pop Mix (Not Metal Song Inside)

syns

\m/
Nov 8, 2007
Malaysia
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2658737/retro 5 - Output - Stereo.mp3

Guys, please critique my mix. It is my latest project so far.All real instruments except for strings,piano and tamborines. Kick blended slate, 70/30. Snare is real blended with LSD samples 70/30. Guitars recorded using Marshall JCM800 (Ceriatone clone) and V30 Cab (ceriatone clone). Vocals recorded using U87.

What can I improve ?

18-1-2011 New mix

19-1-2011 New mix

Last edited by a moderator:
The kick sounds like it may be clipping just a little bit, other that its really good. Maybe a bit of effects on the vocals as glue in the mix

clipping!!? I didnt noticed it at all, I'll lower the loudness limiter at master buss later. Which effects did you think suits best? The vocals already have a little bit of delay on it.

Sounds killer. I'm not sure if the kick is clipping, it may just be the attack. It should come down a bit, and maybe put some more oomph in 100-200hz instead of right in the lowend. It's pumping it all a bit. Tbh I'm not a huge fan of the kick, something with a longer decay and squisher attack would work much better IMO. I can't think of any Slate kicks like that, try LSD if you have it for the kicks.

Acoustic guitars sound really cool. How'd you compress them? I always struggle with that.

Sounds killer. I'm not sure if the kick is clipping, it may just be the attack. It should come down a bit, and maybe put some more oomph in 100-200hz instead of right in the lowend. It's pumping it all a bit. Tbh I'm not a huge fan of the kick, something with a longer decay and squisher attack would work much better IMO. I can't think of any Slate kicks like that, try LSD if you have it for the kicks.

Acoustic guitars sound really cool. How'd you compress them? I always struggle with that.

I see, thanks for the input, Im not getting good results with LSD kick for pop/rock type songs. They always end up with too much click.

The acoustic guitars were compressed using CLA-3A around -7db gain reduction. I really love what CLA-3A doing on acoustic guitars, UAD LA3A just cannot do that.

How do you like that Ceriatone?
I did some work on one and loved it!

sounds sweet!
def prefer the second one, but heck that kick might even be a bit too aggressive for 'retro'. sounds good anyway though.

How do you like that Ceriatone?
I did some work on one and loved it!

sounds sweet!
def prefer the second one, but heck that kick might even be a bit too aggressive for 'retro'. sounds good anyway though.

At first, I didnt like it at all. Nowadays, I want to reamp everything thru it.
Plus they are cheap for custom amp. Which model did you order from them?

THAT is why I didnt like LSD kick on pop/slow rock, Im using the medium velocity for the kick and it still sound aggressive. Any recommendation on other samples? Thanks btw!

I just replaced an input jack on a ceriatone for a guy, got to play it and it was very nice.

I would think maybe look into some unprocessed kick samples and shape it your own way. A lot of vintage recordings didn't really have a lot of kick to begin with, and if they did there was hardly any attack.

I think it sounds almost perfect now, I think the kick fits well. It's perhaps a little loud though. If you're looking for something more rocky, try this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Morgan Tunnel Kick.rar

I think the male vocals pop out too much compared to the female vocals, they're a little drier or louder or something, especially at like 3:20 when its just him (I can't quote it as I have no idea what he's saying).

@Morgan C, Thank you very much for the samples. Check out the new mix, I have use your kick samples in it. Blended with original kick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dig it, the kick fits well. I'd still do some shaping in the lowmids (perhaps less at 200hz) and in the mids. Everything else is perfect, the kick is still not sitting perfectly. Maybe listen on a different system?