Retubing my 5150

FretsAflame

Undercover Shredder
Sep 8, 2003
Funkytown
The time has come to re-tube my 5150 (and maybe add new speakers as well, but for now just retubing).

Anyhow, I always hear that the stock tubes sounds like crap in comparison to others that are available, so I was wondering if any experienced 5150 users had any recommendations as to what tubes compliment the 5150 the best.

Thanks in advance :D

Steve

It depends on what version of the 5150 you have regarding the stock tubes. The original block letter models came with Sylvania tubes, which were incredible. Peavey changed the stock tubes when they changed the 5150 to the script model, I forget what they were though. Then they changed the stock tubes to Ruby's when the amp was renamed the 6505. I've owned 5 5150's and I've found that Slyvania tubes sound the best, but they're EXPENSIVE as all hell.

Go with the JJ power tubes, and perhaps the 9th Gen Chinese for the preamp.

Also, seriously look into the bias mod while you're at it.

-0z-

I have the signature (script) version combo.

In your opinion, what does the biasing mod do for the sound exactly?

well, i tried lots of different tubes (esp. preamp) and finally settled on this combo:
poweramp: svetlana winged c 6l6gc
preamp:
v1: eh 12ax7
v2: jj 12ax7
v3: jj 12ax7
v4: svetlana 12ax7
v5: eh 12ax7 balanced

the jj 12ax7 sounded great in v1 at low volumes, but were too dark at band volumes, not enough cut and bite. the combo of a (supposedly) harsh/bright EH in v1 and 2 mellow/dark JJs in v2+3 is crushing :Headbang:

Mark_Palangio said:
It depends on what version of the 5150 you have regarding the stock tubes. The original block letter models came with Sylvania tubes, which were incredible. Peavey changed the stock tubes when they changed the 5150 to the script model, I forget what they were though. Then they changed the stock tubes to Ruby's when the amp was renamed the 6505. I've owned 5 5150's and I've found that Slyvania tubes sound the best, but they're EXPENSIVE as all hell.

My 6505+ came stock with Sovtek 5881 WXT's and EH 12ax7's (purchased in Nov. of 2005). My Ultra plus came stock with Ruby's and it was a late 90's model.

I'll 2nd the JJ power and 9th gen (shuguang) chinese pre's. The 9th gen chinese, which I only know as Shuguang's (the factory where they are made), they may be rebranded as something else.

But, this combo yields a great bite and aggressiveness to the tone. I've also tried Ruby power tubes along with the 9th gen pre's and it sounded great as well. Not as much bite or aggression (just a *tiny* bit less), but a tad more bass (just a *tiny* bit more bass)...This has been my experience, YMMV.

I have the 5150 script head......I have tried many tube combos....but the best by far has been

JJ 6l6GC for power

Tung Sol 12ax7s for V1 and V2
9th gen Chinese 12AX7 for V3, V4 and V5