Reviews for Watershed

I read a few of the reviews, and why the fuck are they such bad reviews?

I sincerely like Watershed a lot. I like the whole album, I can't get the songs, riffs, ect, out of my head. It's truely great music. So why the shitty reviews?

Edit: OK, there are some good reviews too, by chance I chose all the bad one's first. :D But still, I don't agree with their arguments in the bad ones.

From what I've read, people are (unknowingly) attacking their own expectations. Statements such as 'not the Opeth sound' we got from earlier albums.. that's the point, to move into new arenas. While I may like other albums more, I don't want a repeat and I still think for this stage in the band's creative expression, Watershed is mindblowing. I'm picturing MAYH fans (not that I don't adore MAYH) listening to the mellow folky elements (once) and judging and attacking a mellow release. I wouldn't listen to reviews until maybe 3 weeks from now when the layers have been peeled away.

From what I've read, people are (unknowingly) attacking their own expectations. Statements such as 'not the Opeth sound' we got from earlier albums.. that's the point, to move into new arenas. While I may like other albums more, I don't want a repeat and I still think for this stage in the band's creative expression, Watershed is mindblowing. I'm picturing MAYH fans (not that I don't adore MAYH) listening to the mellow folky elements (once) and judging and attacking a mellow release. I wouldn't listen to reviews until maybe 3 weeks from now when the layers have been peeled away.

Great post

From what I've read, people are (unknowingly) attacking their own expectations.

Well, that about sums up half of everybody when anything is released, be it a movie, album, etc. You still have people on this forum that want another Morningrise 12 years later, and every new album they return to the forum to bitch.

I sincerely like Watershed a lot. I like the whole album, I can't get the songs, riffs, ect, out of my head. It's truely great music. So why the shitty reviews?
Actually most of those reviews are positive. I mean I personally did my best to describe the music objectively, yet still couldn't help but put in some superlatives in there.

I'm personally not a fan of the new album but this review,
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=11629&lang=en
especially the first half is ridiculous! :lol:

I gave up trying to read this one because the guy clearly couldn't write in English properly. I usually don't let someone's poor grasp of a language fool me into thinking they're not intelligent, but what he was saying was nonsense as well anyway.

I gave up trying to read this one because the guy clearly couldn't write in English properly. I usually don't let someone's poor grasp of a language fool me into thinking they're not intelligent, but what he was saying was nonsense as well anyway.

Maybe he felt like taking any of his time to write a review for what he thinks is a poor cd is wasted.

Maybe he felt like taking any of his time to write a review for what he thinks is a poor cd is wasted.

I dunno, I usually take more time to write bad reviews because I try to meticulously explain why I think something is bad. Usually there's less to explain when you like something. But maybe that's just me being pedantic.

Also, it always seems to me that people enjoy complaining more than praising something. In my experience people are more reluctant to admit they love something than that they hate something.

the best part is that he gives it a 97/100

Yeh but he explains that:

"So it's quite important don't take any notice to marks in reviews, especially in this one. That will only cause confusion and false expectations."

I guess he's trying to make some kind of point that giving an album points is meaningless, although it doesn't really work.