Reviews for Watershed

MAYH is still my favorite, But after only listening to Watershed once, and just Sunday hearing Heir Apparent live, it's a good album for me already. That is already a good sign for me. I haven't been pissed at anything they've done yet. Back in 96', when I first got Orchid, I liked it, but didn't go nuts over it until weeks later, after the melodies and unique musical approach infected my brain. And then when MAYH came out, I remember hauling-ass to the local metal store (yes, Aces was a metal store, no joke!) to get it when it arrived here in the states. After the first 2 listens, I liked that the vocals got even more guttural and intense. But, I thought it was missing something. But the exact same thing happened again, as with Orchid, and Morningrise....I caught myself after a few days removed from those 2 listens, murmuring "It was the only task I would undertake"....and "You keep your dagger close at hand" That was it, hooked again! And with this band, it has always been like that, they have so much going on in every song. Mike knows that he has to keep that balance with every new album he creates...progress, but tie in the trademark riffs and top creativity he's known and admired for. I go in with the mindset with Opeth, -let's see what weird nuances and strange chords they're going to come up with now-.....

All Music Guide has posted a great review for Watershed.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wnfpxzejld0e

I love the fact they are obsessed with Opeth. Opeth is one of the most consistently high rated bands i've seen on that site and I'm on there frequently. :headbang:

Yeah, same with me. I don't think Watershed is their best review though. It was good until "dude". It doesn't really have the good writing of the Ghost Reveries review (just an example).

Yeah, I've noticed that little AMG Opeth fetish, too. It's pretty groovy. Those guys write some pretty nifty reviews, even if they do confuse death metal with black metal most of the time.

From the AMG review:

"Essentially, Opeth's perceived weaknesses would be pivotal moments for any other band."

So true, both for individual moments and entire albums. People seem to be missing the point that even though this may not be Opeth's finest hour (or, to be more precise, 55 minutes), it is still one of, if not THE, most captivating releases this year.

People who give it bad reviews have no taste in good music and are retards. People who give it good reviews actually understand what Opeth are doing, appreciate good music and are not retards.

That's what it pretty much comes down to.

People who give it bad reviews have no taste in good music and are retards. People who give it good reviews actually understand what Opeth are doing, appreciate good music and are not retards.

That's what it pretty much comes down to.

Pretty much. It's sad that theres metalheads out there who will listen to an opeth track thinking its great then hearing an acoustic/soft part suddenly, and going "omfg these guys aren't bruuuutal enough, this is so pussy"

Pretty much. It's sad that theres metalheads out there who will listen to an opeth track thinking its great then hearing an acoustic/soft part suddenly, and going "omfg these guys aren't bruuuutal enough, this is so pussy"

I also don't understand those who say that Opeth bores them because their songs are too long, or that they fall asleep when they hear it o_O

There are some fairly bad reviews out there. They also happen to be giving the album bad ratings.

Well it's quite obviously good music so they have no idea what they are talking about. I'm not bothered and I'm sure noone else here is either.
If anyone stops listening to music they like because of other peoples opinions then they never really liked the music in the first place.

Reviews are dumb most of the time anyway.

It s so cool, trendy and hype to show you can say bad things about an already revered band.
Those morons know they are gonna piss people off.

It sjust good fun by people who are just bored.

Those people feel they are somewhat more educated by dissing Opeth.

Actually, ther are the stupid ones because they don't listen music with their heart but with their frustrations in life.

So they attack something to feel better about themselves.

With that being said, it s ok to not like Opeth or Watershed.

As for me, I am digging the new record with a passion.

It s already stuck in my head and it s maybe their best work since "Sick Liaasons".

Most of these bad reviews are because this is a challenging album. If the listener dosen't understand this they will dismiss the album as mediocre, when they should give it time and multiple listens to both understand the concept and the sutlties that make Watershed amazing. It's simply a jump to conclusion.

Hell I fucking HATED ghost reveries, thought it was their sellout album, until I listened to it enough and finally, in like, 2007, it clicked. A lot of the tr00 fans really don't know how damn good GR is.