Revisiting Glen’s post about scoring past shows based on the time of the show and not

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
Now that the line up has been revealed and some time has past for the dust to settle I have found myself to be very please with the line up this year in its entirety. There were some bands that were announced that I was not familiar with or at least not familiar with their music. After investigating and looking into each band, I don’t think that there is one band that I will not find interesting and entertaining at this years PP.

It is easy for me to look back at ProgPowers gone by and say” WOW,That was a strong show!”. However, If I remember back at the actual time of the show I was not that impressed because I did not know many of the bands of had no interest in others with no real cause. Years later with a broader knowledge of the genres and bands out there I can look back with new eyes and see the greatness that has been at PP. Take Prog Power 2. I was going to go to this show but at the time, the only band I knew was Symphony X. I knew of Kamelot but was not familiar enough with them to care. In hind site it must have been a killer show based on the line up.

Now, 2007………..
With blinders off I have looked into and have given every band on the bill a fair shake and there is not one dud on the bill. If you like metal, there is something here for everyone. As far as rating this show based on the knowledge I have of the line up at the time of the show, this ranks #1. I can say that I looking forward to seeing all bands on this line up and I think any nay Sayers will look back down the road and say “That was a killer show, I wish I had gone.

Glen, My hat is off to you sir. Great Job. :headbang:

My only disappointments are After Forever (just not a fan of the band, but I am hopeful live they will be like Epica who I also don;t really care for on cd) and Virgin Steele. They are not the band they used to be...at least to me.

Agreed! I think this is a very strong lineup. Even the bands that I had not heard of before or had not heard that much of before (Raintime, Threshold, and yes :erk: ... Virgin Steele) are very talented and IMO will make for a killer festival. I think I'm looking forward to this year's lineup even more than last year's. I've been coming since PPV and it seems to me like every year the lineup get's more impressive.
:headbang:

PS - I am personally looking forward to After Forever kicking my ass. :D

I wasn't familiar with THRESHOLD at all. I almost bought stuff before, but never did until now. I bought "Subsurface" and "Critical Energy". I love "Subsurface"! I noticed Mac sounds very similar to Freddie Mercury on this album. I think so, anyway. That's great for me because I love QUEEN. I look very forward to seeing THRESHOLD at PP8. I haven't listened to CE yet, though.

Now that the line up has been revealed and some time has past for the dust to settle I have found myself to be very please with the line up this year in its entirety. There were some bands that were announced that I was not familiar with or at least not familiar with their music. After investigating and looking into each band, I don’t think that there is one band that I will not find interesting and entertaining at this years PP.

It is easy for me to look back at ProgPowers gone by and say” WOW,That was a strong show!”. However, If I remember back at the actual time of the show I was not that impressed because I did not know many of the bands of had no interest in others with no real cause. Years later with a broader knowledge of the genres and bands out there I can look back with new eyes and see the greatness that has been at PP. Take Prog Power 2. I was going to go to this show but at the time, the only band I knew was Symphony X. I knew of Kamelot but was not familiar enough with them to care. In hind site it must have been a killer show based on the line up.

Now, 2007………..
With blinders off I have looked into and have given every band on the bill a fair shake and there is not one dud on the bill. If you like metal, there is something here for everyone. As far as rating this show based on the knowledge I have of the line up at the time of the show, this ranks #1. I can say that I looking forward to seeing all bands on this line up and I think any nay Sayers will look back down the road and say “That was a killer show, I wish I had gone.

Glen, My hat is off to you sir. Great Job. :headbang:

Well Said, And I totally Agree, And The Headliners are gonna blow the roof off of Center Stage...:headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :Smokin:

I'll admit I don't know much about most the bands playing.
But I am sure that If by chance I do get to go than I will enjoy them and give them a good chance .

Three Cheer's for Glenn for all the hard work :)

This year's line up in my humble opinion ranks right at the top of all PP line-ups. Now i realize this will only be my second PP, but i do have CDs by just about every band that has ever played a PPUSA, and to me this is the strongest there has been. The only way that this could have been over the top heads and shoulders above the rest is NIGHTWISH, but that is not to be this year, and i know Glenn pulled out all the stops for this to be "The Beginning of an Era" for the new lineup.
So to Glenn i say GREAT JOB, this line up will blow everyone away.

Here's what I think...

Before the whole lineup was announced, I was somewhat skeptical about the fest. Something wasn't grabbing me, as much as there were many bands I want to see live. Now, with the entire lineup announced (still two to go), I can say this is one hell of a strong lineup!! Especially with After Forever as the saturday headliner. Oh man... These guys are going to kick serious ass, they will impress everyone and make everyone who plans to miss them a fool for doing so.... You will see... They will show why so many people call them the best live band they've ever seen. If you had the opportunity of seeing them live, you know what I'm talking about.

Good job on the lineup, Glenn. Especially the After Forever part. =)

Here's what I think...

Before the whole lineup was announced, I was somewhat skeptical about the fest. Something wasn't grabbing me, as much as there were many bands I want to see live. Now, with the entire lineup announced (still two to go), I can say this is one hell of a strong lineup!! Especially with After Forever as the saturday headliner. Oh man... These guys are going to kick serious ass, they will impress everyone and make everyone who plans to miss them a fool for doing so.... You will see... They will show why so many people call them the best live band they've ever seen. If you had the opportunity of seeing them live, you know what I'm talking about.

Good job on the lineup, Glenn. Especially the After Forever part. =)

If you don;t mind me asking, what is it about After Forever's set that people say they are the best live band?

If you don;t mind me asking, what is it about After Forever's set that people say they are the best live band?

1. Excellent Live Musicans
2. High Energy
3. Floor's charisma is off the chart. She is absolutely nothing like Tarja or Simone in terms of stage presence.
4. They have fun & don't take themselves too seriously (who the hell else covers "The Final Countdown?")

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait just a darned minute here....lay off my Europe boys! ;) Somebody has to take up for them you know. :kickass:

I personally think After Forever did a fine job on that tune too! \nn/

Glenn, get them to cover it for me at PPVIII....pleeeeeeeaaaaseee!

1. Excellent Live Musicans
2. High Energy
3. Floor's charisma is off the chart. She is absolutely nothing like Tarja or Simone in terms of stage presence.
4. They have fun & don't take themselves too seriously (who the hell else covers "The Final Countdown?")

Are they heavy Live like Epica? I ask because I can;t get into their cds, just like Epica, but Epica was heavy as hell live. Any chance the band will play The Final Countdown at PP??:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggest to the band to play that live at PP!!! The FInal Countdown would be cool to hear.

Are they heavy Live like Epica? I ask because I can;t get into their cds, just like Epica, but Epica was heavy as hell live. Any chance the band will play The Final Countdown at PP??:kickass:

Dude... LOL I like Epica and all, but Epica is like a little girl when it comes to being HEAVY compared to After Forever... AF is much heavier.

And yes, The Final Countdown would be great!!! BUT they also need to do their version of The Evil That Men Do, that kicks SO MUCH ass!