Rhythm Guitar Reverb

Nauru

Nov 1, 2009
Do you guys usually use reverb on you're rhythm guitars?
And if so, what kind and how much?
I usually add a little but now I've started questioning this method.

Heavy distorted rhythms? Hell no
Clean rhythms, it can work. I don't use that much, just enough for it to be noticeable

Not in a DAW, no. But I tried adding just a tad of reverb on a Valveking head and it seemed to make the tone thicker and more brutal, yet not messing it up. Interesting.

I think that a very slight touch of reverb can sound good on heavy detuned metal, but a tiny amount so its like almost un-noticeable. It seems to thicken the sound, and it takes the harsh dry sound off sometimes :D

There is nothing wrong with putting a little bit reverb on rythm high gain guitars, it can actually make them blend in perfect in the mix. But if you do treat it as ambience, so just a short reverb lowpassed around 4khz, he trick is to make it almost not hearable, just add some space.

Listen to king nothing with Metallica, the reverb definitely add some fatness to the tone.

if you want a very tight "modern" artificial sound (riff goes with the kick drums ect...) then no.
Personally i put a tad verb on the rhythm bus. sounds more natural to me, and i dont like the dry sound without.