Reverb on guitars?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
Do you usually send a bit of your guitar tracks to a reverb, and if so, how much? I can see it giving the guitars a bit more depth but depending on the genre it can vary I think. I'd like to hear what you guys do though because a lot of you are dual and quad tracking.

The only reverb my guitars see is a small splash of reverb on the master. Solo'd the guitars only have enough reverb to sound like they are in a large space, or simply have more room, but not the point where you can obviously hear reverb, you really have to listen for it.

Absolutely never on high gain rhythms.
Leads, it depends. On some basic melody leads, sometimes, on solos generally always.

Absolutely never on high gain rhythms.
Leads, it depends. On some basic melody leads, sometimes, on solos generally always.

I never put reverb on rhythm guitars, but I will always put reverb on the leads, as well as a stereo digital delay at 400ms and 800ms. I don't shred, rather, huge epic melodies with some quicker passages, so slower delay is a must and I don;t have to worry about it being too slow since I am not playing 4 billion notes per second like "The Overlord".

I never used to use verbs on rhythm stuff. But these days I do because I like the stop start of guitars not to be too sharp and jarring (thats probably alot to do with my guitar tone). I think it helps stop parts from jumping out when they stop and start, helping them blend in. I suppose it very much depends on how much of everything else is given space.

(when I say reverb what I mean is a very tiny effect of the sound being in a room, only a few dbs at the most. It makes a difference to my ears)

It all depends on what context you're thinking of. For Death Metal and that kinda thing definitely no, but I would use it if you're doing any rock music, or any 80's style stuff. I'd even use some if you're going for that old school thrash vibe (think older Megadeth and the likes). Just a little plate reverb IMO will work.

I used a short room preset on my Rev 5 on my last project. The tempo was semi slow, and the rythym guitars sounded kind of bland by themselves. It really helped them find a 'space' in the mix. But for crushing metal, I usually don't do it. I seldom use reverb on leads.....only delay.

I've used reverb on rhythm guitars like once in the past year. It worked perfectly for that mix, but I couldn't have imagined doing it at all for any of the other projects

If you have several guitar tracks panned, and no one in the middle, you might want to ad a room-reverb whith a highpass @ 200hz or so that you have mono in the middle.
That usually makes the guitar sound even more "wall of doom" without getting muddy as f*ck.
On leads i use a slight reverb with a pretty big hall OR cathedral-type reverb, and then i sidechain it so that its quiet while im playing so it wont bury the solo in the mix.

The only reverb my guitars see is a small splash of reverb on the master. Solo'd the guitars only have enough reverb to sound like they are in a large space, or simply have more room, but not the point where you can obviously hear reverb, you really have to listen for it.

Yep ! My thoughts too.
All depending on the music of course.
Technical Death style seems to work best pretty dry but IMO if there's a hint of melody then a little ambiance sometimes works a treat .
Higher bit rates in the actual reverb FX make a hell of a difference . High quality reverb or no reverb is my motto nothing worse than lashings of synthetic treacle over the whole mix unless its the "A blaze in the northern sky " album .