Rhythm tone test (podxt, dfhs).

InnerCircle

Feb 20, 2006
Holland
www.myspace.com
Reason sounds great for this kind of stuff... cool clip, but i agree with you on the snare.. it sounds too dry/unprocessed to me.. and just does not seem to fit in 100% with the rest of the mix... what snare is that?

Cool clip though!

Hey Bob, it's the 14" sonor 1. I'm really irritated about this snare thing. I just can't get it to sound good. I'm mean, when I boost the master volume, the snare get's lost in the mix, so without all the compression 'n stuff like that I really don't know how to do it else.

Sorry, but I think the mix sounds quite terrible. Just brutally loud and shrill.

What I am wondering about is: the Sonor 1 snare on DFHS sounds so much better on its own without any processing than in your example. On your track it's just a little "Pock" or "Clong" and no snaretone. Obviously the "right" snaresound is a huge matter of taste ... :)

How much of the AMB channel do you use in DFHS? I found it to be VERY important to get cool drumtones that sound real.

To be constructive:
I would work on the clarity of your mix first:
Kill all inserts and EQs. Pull down all the faders and then start with the most important element. For something like this rhythm tone test, it'd be the guitars.

Here's how I do it:

I load up a .wav file from my favorite band and listen to those guitars.

Then I strap a (Sonalksis) stereo compressor at the first insert of the masterbus and a Limiter set to 0db at the last insert before the fader (just to catch peaks).

Now I pull up the group fader for the guitar tracks and compare that to the guitar sound from my favorite CD (maybe Meshuggah in this case). If the tone is totally off, then I rerecord the guitars with a different amp/patch. If it's close, EQ the group it till it sounds somewhat similar. Make sure to switch off the master buss compressor when listening to your reference.

Pull up the bass fader and make the bass blend in with the guitars. Compare again with your reference .wav file.

Do that one after the other. And make sure you pull all faders up so the peaks are just around -7 or -8db on the peak meter. You could try to see how the mix sounds with just guitars, bass, kick and snare and then EQ the individual elements. Also make sure to mainly EQ when all the other elements are playing and don't solo too much. Soloing every now and then is fine, but mostly you'll want to listen to how an EQ change affects the whole sound. Try not to use compressors on any individual instruments but only somewhat lightly (3-5db) on the drum-buss.

If you got all your elements ready check by how much the stereo compressor in the masterbuss is compressing. Go up to 4-6db there. Done.

You should at least have a clear mix where all the sounds are equally represented. Of course it wouldn't be loud as fuck, but the mp3 here just sounds painful to my ears.

Hope those are some useable ideas.

hahah holy shit.
I'm bookmarking this one!
I must say I'm really a noob when it comes to mixing, so this must be very helpfull, thanks for that.
I'm going to do everything you said, because I know what you mean...when I listen to this mix and then a pro mix there's a huge difference.

So I'm going to work on it :)!

Ismar, whenever i use a limiter like waves L2, it tends to drown the snare a bit.. you could look into that and fool around with that a bit, turn it down, off, whatever.. it could help.

goddamn that guitar tone is hard to describe. i hate it and love it at the same time. it's shrill and loud as shit as smy1 said, but i think that's what i like about it - kind of different.

it makes me want to :headbang: and :puke: at the same time.