Rhytm Guitars / Gothic Metal?

Dave1978

Nov 23, 2007
Germany
Right now I'm working on the tone for the guitars of our next album. The engineer doesn't reamp for the amount of money I can pay him, so I need to send him a real good tone out of my software stuff.

The problem is: I've somehow figured out over the years to build a usable sound for riff-oriented metal. But I fail in putting together a good Gothic Metal tone that fits in the mix.

References are bands like Paradise Lost (Icon), Draconian, October Tide...

They all have that high distorted and wide guitars, not so much that dry undergained Metalcore thing which I get out of X30, LePoulin and so on.

Do you have any suggestions for me how to come closer to that kind of sound which I try to achieve?

I can post soundsamples later ...just that you know where I'm at right now.

I'm using all the standard freeware tools, Recabinet 3 and Overloud TH2.

PL used Marshalls around the time of 'Icon', though I don't know if that's what made it onto the album. I also remember them saying that they had at least 4 tracks of rhythm guitar, which is going to help with the width and density somewhat.

In my experience/opinion you need a bit more gain than you would have for the riff-led stuff, and accept accordnigly that the palm-mutes aren't going to be quite as clean and crisp. Apart from that though I think it's personal preference as I'd say 90s era PL, Draconian, and October Tide are all quite different from each other (though certainly sitting in a different category entirely from the usual tones people aim for on this forum).

Would be interested in hearing what you've got so far, anyway.

Thanks for your feedback. In the past I tried several times to achieve an more Marshall-like sound, but it sounds lifeless with plugins. I would be thankful for any recommendation to come closer to that idea.

The biggest issue is the distortion balancing. On the one hand you need more gain for that particular sound, but on the other hand it ruins the sound.

It doesn't necessarily need to sound like "Icon". A more modern referrence would be this song here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUtB-bywyqk&playnext=1&list=PL4E8A96291F6EF3B2[/ame]

Sounds smooth, fat and neither under- nor overgained.

Right now am at work, I'll post a clip later in the evening.

Hmm, I dunno. It doesn't sound too distinctive to me but then I've been playing in and listening to this style for years, and never tried for the typical Sneap tones so I wouldn't know how to approach it from that direction. These guys tend to use pretty much the same signal chain as everybody else so there aren't exactly many parameters to play with - set gain and eq on mid-way and tinker with it. I'd probably recommend a Peavey sim rather than a Marshall one as well. Sorry I can't be more help!

I found that Marshall MG series combos have awesome drive. If you have possibility to loan from friend or somehow else and use it like pedal and not micing it. MGs got overdrive sound that could possibly you like.
And also maybe try to look for hi-gain overdrive sound and not only distortion!

I'll second looking at some of the 5150 sims but also a gibson scale guitar with passives to make things smoother and a little bigger. FWIW, there is nothing particularly remarkable about any of the productions you mentioned other than the material and the players so a lot of it comes down to that.