RI club used non-fireproof sound insulation

Melisan

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
This is making me sick. Two friends of mine are dead because that bastard Derderian wouldn't spend $600???

Foam firm owner: Club bought non-fire retardant soundproofing

02/28/2003

By TOM MOONEY
Journal staff writer

The owner of American Foam Corp. in Johnston says The Station nightclub in June 2000 purchased $575 worth of common egg-crate packing foam for soundproofing, but it was not fire retardant.

The fire retardant foam would have cost twice as much, according to Aram DerManouelian, who said the club wanted "the lowest grade, the cheapest stuff."

"They had a choice, and they bought general purpose egg-crate foam," said DerManouelian. "It kept the noise down, but whoever figured they'd put flame on it? Jesus. For a $575 invoice, here we are."

Whether the soundproofing was safe and fire retardant, as required by law, is now at the center of the investigation into the blaze at West Warwick club last week, which has killed 97 and injured another 186 people. It was the fourth deadliest nightclub fire in the nation's history and the worst fire ever in Rhode Island.

Pyrotechnics set off by the band Great White apparently ignited the foam, then quickly spread to paneling and a suspended ceiling, filling the club with thick black smoke and flames. The building was engulfed within three minutes, West Warwick Fire Chief Charles Hall has said.

DerManouelian said Michael Derderian, co-owner of the club, wrote out a check for a delivery of 25 sheets of the charcoal foam on June 27, 2000. The foam was 2 1/2 inches thick. Each sheet was 37 by 84 inches in diameter.

"It's unfortunate," DerManouelian said. "They did not buy fire retardant foam. Yeah, they could have. We sell fire-retardant foam. They bought the wrong kind. In hindsight, they probably didn't think they were going to have a fire."

Investigators hunting for the source of the stage insulation used at The Station nightclub searched American Foam Monday night and took samples of products.

The foam was installed to appease neighbors upset by the club's noise. Michael Derderian and his brother, Jeffrey, bought the club in March 2000.

The club's former manager, Tim Arnold, of Johnston, would not confirm or deny yesterday that he had installed the foam soundproofing. A woman who answered the door at his house said Arnold no longer worked at a foam company.

Well, nothing is truly fireproof (except asbestos, but that stuff's been banned in this country and for good reason) but, even still, there's a possibilty that the sparks were still coming out too hot with the distance they were flying. :(

Melisan, I'm sorry to hear you lost two friends in the fire. The loss of so many lives is made worse by knowing it could have been prevented 10x over.

MiniMurray said:
Melisan, I'm sorry to hear you lost two friends in the fire. The loss of so many lives is made worse by knowing it could have been prevented 10x over.

:cry:

Melisan,
My heart goes out to you and the families and friends of your two buddies. The rage you must be feeling right now!!!

Society had better learn from this...already in two of the bars where I work, stricter regulations are starting to manifest...One was written up for fifteen violations that the electrical safety code guy used to let slide. Sad that it takes some negligent accident like this for people to be more aware of safety protocols that should have been in place in the first place.

Thanks for the support, ladies. One of the guys was Dr. Metal, the WHJY DJ. Back when I was in college, I worked as a freelance journalist for a metal mag called Faces. I used to interview bands when they came to RI, which was great because I had almost no competition for the band's time. Dr. Metal, though, was always there. Some times we fought over who got to go first.

Once, with Testament, he went first, and I got shitfaced with bassist Greg Christian and some roadies while waiting. Then I had to do an interview with Chuck, who is the biggest non-athlete you will ever meet and rather intimidating just in his presence, slurring and slouched in the seat. I wish I'd kept that tape. :)

The other guy was the brother of an ex-girlfriend. I always used to talk computers and music with him when I went to pick her up and she wasn't ready, which was, like, every time. Both of us are a German/Italian mix, but I was the only one with a German sense of punctuality, it seemed. :) Michael was 30. Goddamn it this is so stupid.

Look in the current issue of the Globe, the gossip rag, with Lisa Marie Presely on the cover. There's a picture inside the club with the fire going, Jack Russell trying to put it out, and a box clearly marked "A4 Explosives," sitting right on the sound board. Even more amazing is the dude right near it with a cigarette in his mouth. And Derderian claims he didn't know and insists GW did it all on their own.

I swear, if I was back there I'd lead the lynch mob to string him up.

I don't think 94HJY was strong enough to reach Maine. But that was its name. 94.1, WHJY. It ran for 20 years, but they are ending it with his death.

Boston had two good stations, WBCN and WAAF, from Worchester. I loved those stations.

I don't need radio any more, really. Music Choice on digital cable is very good, there's KNAC, and when I finally get stable work, I'm probably going to splurge for Sirius Satellite Radio. They have a great selection of metal channels. I'm proud to say I'm Clear Channel-free. :)

No. I remember when it was in the works, and Rob Jones was really excited about it, but then he realized XM is partly owned by Clear Channel and wanted nothing to do with it. :) Sirius is primarily owned by Ford and DaimlerChrysler, plus BMW, so cars coming from those makers will have the Sirius option starting this year.

Anyway, you can listen to Sirius on their Web site, www.sirius.com. Look for the Listen Now option up top. Hard Attack is the metal channel. All of Sirius's music channels are commercial-free, whereas XM's music channels have a lot of commercials.