Great White Concert Kills 26

smylex

New Metal Member
Aug 1, 2002
From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/21/nightclub.fire/index.html

At least 26 dead as fire consumes nightclub
Concert's pyrotechnics eyed as cause

Friday, February 21, 2003 Posted: 6:41 AM EST (1141 GMT)

Concertgoers struggle to get out of a doorway as deadly smoke swirls around them.

WEST WARWICK, Rhode Island (CNN) -- At least 26 people are dead after a concert's pyrotechnics apparently ignited a massive fire that destroyed a Providence-area nightclub late Thursday, officials said.

Many of the victims apparently perished after they frantically rushed the club's exits but were unable to escape the fast-moving inferno.

At least 164 people were injured in the blaze and taken to nearby hospitals. Several were life-flighted to the nearest burn centers in Massachusetts.

Many bodies were still inside The Station nightclub, West Warwick Town Manager Wolfgang Bauer said early Friday. Fire investigators were carefully searching the nightclub's remains to determine how the blaze spread so quickly.

The fire broke out about 11 p.m. ET at a concert featuring the 1980s metal group, Great White. As the band began to play, pyrotechnics went off. But after the display, which lasted for several seconds, flames began to crawl up the club's wall in back of the band.

At first, witnesses said, patrons thought the flames were a part of the show and continued to cheer. As the fire spread, some fans casually made their way toward the exit. Then, panic broke out, according to videographer Brian Butler, who was taping part of the concert while on assignment for CNN affiliate WPRI.

"It was that fast. As soon as the pyrotechnics stopped, the flame had started on the egg-crate [foam] backing behind the stage and it just went up the ceiling and people stood and watched it," said Butler, said.

"Some people were already trying to leave and others were just sitting there going 'Yeah that's great!' and I remember that statement because I was like, 'This is not great, this is time to leave.'"

As the flames spread inside the one-story club, band members jumped off the stage and joined the crowd, heading toward the exit. At least one of the musicians may not have made it.

"It went up like a Christmas tree," Jack Russell, Great White's lead singer, told The Providence Journal. "I was trying to put it out with a bottle of water. I turned around and the building was engulfed. My sound man is injured. I'm on my way to the hospital. I'm missing my guitar player."

Mark Kendall is listed as the band's lead guitarist, according to Great White's Web site.

Russell told the newspaper he had received permission from the club for the pyrotechnics, but The Station's stage technician, Paul Vanner,said he was not aware that the band planned to use fireworks.

Vanner said the club has had onstage pyrotechnics at past concerts, but there has always been a licensed expert to supervise the fireworks. He said no one was onstage to supervise Thursday night's show.

People on the videotape shot by Butler were screaming "I can't move!" as they tried to flee. Others were stacked on top of each other in the door frame, as they tried to exit the nightclub.

One woman who escaped the fire told WPRI that she lived because she fled as soon as the fire began creeping up the wall in back of the stage. She said she was in the front of the crowd and thus was able to see the flames.

She speculated that others, further back in the crowd, apparently were unaware of the fire's seriousness until it was too late.

At least 52 people were taken to nearby Kent Hospital, most in serious to critical condition with first-, second- and third-degree burns, a hospital spokesman said. Four patients were then life-flighted to Boston and Worcester, Massachusetts.

Rhode Island Hospital in Providence had at least 60 patients, 16 in critical condition, according to a hospital statement. At least three were transferred to Boston.

South County Hospital in Wakefield accepted 16 patients; Miriam Hospital in Providence, 12; Our Lady of Fatima Hospital in North Providence, 15; and Roger Williams Hospital in Providence, 10.

Three days ago, 21 people died and more than 50 were injured in a stampede at a Chicago nightclub, after a security guard used pepper spray to break up a fight.

Ironically, videographer Butler was at The Station nightclub to cover local perspective on that deadly stampede.

The worst nightclub fire in U.S. history occurred November 28, 1942, at the Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Boston, Massachusetts. That inferno, fed by decorations in the ritzy nightspot, left 492 people dead.

yikes... I just saw the report on CNN, death toll is up to 39
and they are showing the video of the incident from inside the club.
You think they'd know better than using pyro indoors... license or not

The count is now up to 54 and a number of people in the hospital are on ventilators. They showed Jack Russell on TV and he was in tears and shaking. The news said that one of the guitar players (they didn't say who) was badly burned. A sad day indeed for the music world.

This is insane - so tragic! The count is up to 85 people dead, & they still can't find the guitarist - Ty.

I've often thought it was stupid when bands refuse to scale down their Pyro for club shows. I saw this terrible Kiss Tribute that almost burned down the Shack, a few years ago... I would have been pissed if I died in a club fire at a Kiss Tribute show!

The count is expected to be at 85 with 75 confirmed as of this writing. :cry:

Why the band was using pyro in a venue the size of Kozmos is completely beyond me.

Perhaps Great White should have stayed quit when they did their "final" show on 12-31-01 at the Galaxy. I'm glad that they weren't using pyro at THAT show. My friend's band opened up that gig.

My understanding of why the pyro was used is that the band give the promoter various information. In this case the type of pyro the band wanted to use. The promoter asks the club if this is OK. If the club says no, the band doesn't use it and if the club owner says yes (they usually have to be licensed for it) the band uses it. And there are a class of pyro considered safe for indoor use. It generates a lot of sparks and little heat, much like the little spark shooting toys some of had as children. In this case Jack Russell said he would often stand in the edge of the sparks for effect. The club owner apparently told the promoter that they were ok'd for pyro and that message was passed on to the band, who has to trust everyone else has done their homework (at least until now). Who knows what the final story of what happened will be. I imagine it will change almost hourly. The one thing I did see missing that might have made a difference having seen a lot of club bands up here use pyro is a guy on each side of the stage with a fire extinguisher until the pyro is done. None-the-less it's very sad.

I'm from RI originally. That place was pretty out of the way. I wanna know why the hell they put GW there and not downtown at a place like Lupo's or The Living Room, which is designed for shows like that.

One of the suspected dead is Dr. Metal, a local DJ who had a metal show running almost 20 years on 94WHJY. I knew him. How depressing.

Originally posted by Bruce Chickinson
GROSS NEGLECT!

FUCK A PERMIT. A FIRE MARSHALL IS REQUIRED TO BE PRESENT FOR ANY PYRO PERFORMED IN A THEATRE BY LAW IN ALL 50 STATES.

SOMEBODY IS GOING TO PRISON FOR MANSLAUGHTER!

I work for a City goverenment, and I sit about 2 cubes down (a la Dilbert) from the Fire Marshall...he even has to be present when the high school does fireworks out in the middle of the football field for the homecoming game...I agree with Chickinson, some people are going to jail.

I shake my head when I overhear people bitching at our building permit counter about being required to put sprinklers into their businesses, they don't want to spend a few thousand bucks on their million dollar projects. I bet we won't hear so much of that complaining in the future. A lot of people dislike the government for all the rules and regulations, but remember some of those rules are there for the general good. Unfortunately too many laws come AFTER a tragedy such as this. Really sad.

:(

Originally posted by Bruce Chickinson
FUCK A PERMIT. A FIRE MARSHALL IS REQUIRED TO BE PRESENT FOR ANY PYRO PERFORMED IN A THEATRE BY LAW IN ALL 50 STATES.

But doesn't the club need to know if pyro is going to be used so they can get a marshall there? Can't be sending fire marshalls to every show, it would cost a mint in overtime.

Thing is, even if no one from GW said they were gonna use pyro, didn't any of the crew from the club NOTICE it being set up? Makes me wonder who's telling the truth in all this.

Right, in my example, the fire marshall has to be present at the homecoming fireworks display and a permit is required. If no permit is applied for or issued, the fire marshall won't know it's even going on.

As far as the club staff, I can see where the club workers wouldn't know what all the equipment is specifically. With all the lights, fog machines, etc. I can see how they club staff didn't may have not had a clue, and unfortunately some of them probably didn't make it out.

If the club really gave permission (not sure why they would risk it, as they weren't licenced for pyro apparently) they they are in big trouble, but I think the band is also to blame for acting in an irresponsible manner. They ultimately are the ones deciding to use those effects.

As far as sending the fire marshall to every show, I think in some cases they would send firefighters who may already be on duty to observe and be there if they are needed. Also, the fees for permits go to cover stuff like that. Building permits fees, for example, pay for building inspectors time to go out and make sure that new building isn't going to fall down. A lot of builders seem to think that the fees are pocketed by the permit counter staff or maybe the mayor. I'm sure those people would enjoy extra loot, but believe me, I work for local government, and ain't nobody getting rich working for the man! :)

Still, whoever is at fault, it really really sucks. I think one lesson to be learned from the 2 club tragedies in the last week or two is to be aware where all the exits are when you are in a large or crowded venue. I guess it's like life in general these days, don't be afraid, but be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Take care and be safe, everybody!