OT: Nightclub's pyrotechnic display erupts into huge fire

jdelpi

Imported Killer
This is pretty damn serious. CNN has the local RI affiliate on right now. It doesn't mention until the end of the article that it was a Great White show. Mark Kendall is missing. At least 51 people in the hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/21/nightclub.fire/

Nightclub's pyrotechnic display erupts into huge fire
Friday, February 21, 2003 Posted: 1:32 AM EST (0632 GMT)

WEST WARWICK, Rhode Island (CNN) -- A pyrotechnic display during a rock concert late Thursday ignited the stage and spread inside a packed nightclub near Providence, causing concertgoers to bottleneck the exits as they fled for their lives.

At least 40 people with a range of injuries -- mostly burns -- were taken to Kent Hospital, a few miles from The Station nightclub in the Providence suburb of West Warwick, according to a spokesman.

Others were taken to Rhode Island Hospital in Providence, although it was not clear how many.

Reporters said dozens of area ambulances were frantically treating individuals outside the club.

Massive flames and heavy smoke poured from the building.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing several people with injuries ranging from serious burns to cuts and bruises.

Video shot by CNN affiliate WPRI showed the onstage fireworks evolve into a massive fire. Initially, fans casually made their way toward the exit. Then, panic broke out, according to videographer Brian Butler, who was taping the rock concert.

"It was that fast. As soon as the pyrotechnics stopped, the flame had started on the egg-crate backing behind the stage, and it just went up the ceiling and people stood and watched it," Butler said.

"Some people were already trying to leave and others were just sitting there going 'Yeah, that's great!' and I remember that statement because I was like, 'This is not great, this is time to leave.'"

People were stacked on top of each other, trying to exit the nightclub, witnesses said.

The 1980s heavy rock band "Great White" was performing at The Station in the Providence suburb of West Warwick when the fire broke out.

Justin, I can't believe any of this. This is so sick. I saw some of the footage last night and it was so gruesome. That club looked just like a club thrax played at here. Sick. just fucking sick. I can't believe this has happened.

Thats fuckin scary. I was reading in the paper the other day about 21 people who died by stampeding out of a bar (or something) because of a pepper-spray-scare in Chicago, I think.
This is crazy. Can you imagine being in there with the fire spreading?
They just said on CNN at least 65 people have died.

Originally posted by AlexStomp
Justin, I can't believe any of this. This is so sick. I saw some of the footage last night and it was so gruesome. That club looked just like a club thrax played at here. Sick. just fucking sick. I can't believe this has happened.

Agreed. The place looks comparable in size to the place Ty and I saw Anthrax play 4 years ago in Lorraine, OH. I'm not a Great White fan but I have been glued to this news story because it hits close to home. I don't want to sit here and spout off all the ways this could have been avoided, but there are painful lessons to be learned.

I wonder how or if this is gonna affect any of Anthrax's tour plans. Clubs are gonna have to reform now. Two US club tragedies in less than a week. I was at a DC club for some stupid model show that my girlfriend was a part of and we left early. This was about 3 months ago. A couple of hours after we left, some guy was stabbed to death. Pyro at a small wooden club??

Originally posted by jdelpi
Agreed. The place looks comparable in size to the place Ty and I saw Anthrax play 4 years ago in Lorraine, OH. I'm not a Great White fan but I have been glued to this news story because it hits close to home. I don't want to sit here and spout off all the ways this could have been avoided, but there are painful lessons to be learned.

Anthrax did play there on a night off from the Priest tour.
My, my, my..............