ribbon mic n00b. 101?

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
There is a Fatthead II Lundahl ribbon mic in the mail with my name on it. This is my first ribbon mic. I know NOT to turn phantom power on or it will destroy the ribbon, but is there anything else I should know?

I was thinking about building a box with an XLR in and out that will block phantom power (just to be safe). Found instructions here..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/218352-phantom-power-blocker.html

I might be using this in a live setting from time too time for non-metal stuff, so the box would be a smart thing IMO since I'm not the one at the board. Not sure I trust someone else to make sure phantom is off (or that I'm patched into the correct channel when I plug it in).

The fatheads can take phantom though I wouldn't test it. They are ace for room mics, hihat/ride, and on guitar mixed with a dynamic.

the way how you store a ribbon is important, they have always to be stored vertically IIRC.
lay it down horizontally and is fucked...or someting like that...:D

Phantom power won't hurt most modern ribbons, as long as you aren't hot-patching it and/or using an improperly wired patchbay or a defective cable.

A greater danger for most ribbon mics is blasts of air - don't put it too close to anything that is physically pushing air, like a bass drum, a plosive vocalist, or a loud guitar cab without using a windscreen or angling the ribbon. A sudden, well placed blast of air can kill a ribbon mic quickly.

Yeah you need to treat with care. Those ribbons are so fragile, if you touch it they disintegrate. Just go easy on it and you should be okay.

Tone!!!
also with some ribbons, the coles 4038 especially; you have to be careful not to slam the box shut, as the burst of wind can knacker the ribbon.

Thanks a ton guys. you've been a lot of help! So from what I'm gather I should threat this thing like a PMSing female kickboxer. and don't DARE to try to lay it horizontally...

The more I look into this mic, the more excited I am about it. they have some shootouts on their website, and it sounds almost identical to a Royer R121 for a LOT less money.

does anyone know if they are particularly sensitive to humidity? my studio is currently in a basement...

Damn that sounds really good.

Anyone know much clean gain would be needed to power this? My SM57 already requires pretty much 95% of the way up on my Saffire 40.

from what I can tell they need to be cranked considerably more than a dynamic. Rode makes an inline device that boosts a mic's output by 20 db

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DPowerPlug

from what I can tell they need to be cranked considerably more than a dynamic. Rode makes an inline device that boosts a mic's output by 20 db

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DPowerPlug

Not all that much with modern mics in my experience. Vintage Ribbons mics need more gain.
That rode Dpowerplug is a piece of shit btw. Use a Triton Fethead if you need extra gain.

Regarding humidity, stay away from it.
I store my ribbon mics vertically with a plastic bag on top and some silica gel inside.
I always move them with the plastic bag on to avoid blasts of air.

I had heard that some modern ribbon mics aren't that fragile anymore. Isn't that wagener who said he puts it in front of loud guitar or bass cab with no pb, virtually like a dynamic mic (though maybe not in front of a kickdrum) ? don't take my word on it, I'm not 100% sure at all of what I am saying but if anyone can confirm or infirm it would be nice

I had heard that some modern ribbon mics aren't that fragile anymore. Isn't that wagener who said he puts it in front of loud guitar or bass cab with no pb, virtually like a dynamic mic (though maybe not in front of a kickdrum) ? don't take my word on it, I'm not 100% sure at all of what I am saying but if anyone can confirm or infirm it would be nice

Modern mics are much more durable. When putting them in close on guitar cabs most engineers just angle the mic forward or use a windscreen.

The ribbon mic (sontronics sigma) I own has always been stored horizontally, no silicagel or plastic bags, been knocking it over while in use a couple of times, mic'ed op my guitar amp with it fairly close (learned that the proximaty effect is pretty damn extreme with this mic, so that's why I don't do it anymore), still works. And without phantom power, it doesn't even work. I'd say read the manual when it comes in. If you need to be extra carefull with it, I'm pretty sure they will mention it in the manual, or else it is a pretty shitty company.

2 facts:
-He put royer ribbon mic in FOK angled, same for guitars cabs
-His loud isn't your loud or someone else loud

watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Having owned both a Fathead and an R121 I can say that the Fathead doesn't come anywhere close to the Royer. At least not in my experience. I found the Fathead useless for guitar. Try using it as the side Mic in an MS configuration though, it works nicely there. Or at least it did for me! YMMV.

Like a few others said, the Fathead is built to handle close micing of guitar cabs. Just be smart with it, no kick drum facing the hole. Remember that it is bi-directional. It comes with a case and I don't think that anything says that you can't store it sideways.

Also keep input impedence in mind. Cascade recommends an input of impedance of at least 3000 ohms and it will make a difference if it is less. Thinking about it now, that might be why i found my Fathead so shitty, it was before I got my better preamps. If your impedance isn't correct, the mic will sound dull. This is going to rule out a lot of preamps that you might encounter so make sure you do some reading about your gear.