riffs

The only reason Western music became popular in other cultures is because Europe colonized a good bit of the world. I'm not saying Western music is bad. And not everyone gets lost in microtones, but of course it takes longer to get used to them, but they don't just sound messed up, there have been times where some of the strings on my guitar were a quarter step off and riffs sounded completely different. I know the guitar allows you to reach quarter tones, but say you wanted to shred in quarter tones. Is there anyone who can bend the guitar strings that fast and that accurately?

(yeah I know, you can all start a debate about cultural imperialism blah blah)

I believe it is because it is GOOD. Otherwise, why would they keep doing it when theyre free to do what they want?

Same reason why the Indians play a lot of Cricket, the Brazillians play a lot of football. I've listened to my fair share of Indian music, but I don't want to start playing the Pungi.

Some countries have lost their music from European imperialism. If you have ever been to South America you will notice that in the countries where the Spanish killed off more of the natives the music sounds like its from Spain, but if you go to a country like Peru where there are still a good number of natives, you will find that you will hear more folk music.

Countries in the middle east have a ton of their own ethnic sound in their popular music. Of course it is true some people have gotten interested in western music and decided to play those styles. Like japanese punk and stuff.

And you say that western music is the greatest because of your opinion on Indian music? I listen to music from many different places and I play some ethnic instruments like the Quena, Mijwiz, and the Shakuhachi and I do not believe that western music is the best (its all subjective anyway). And according to your argument that would mean that blues is the greatest music ever. It inspired pretty much every popular style that exists today.

But lets not derail this thread with a "which music is the greatest" argument.:)

It seems to be you that's doing that. I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone.. I'm just saying what I think, yes it's subjective. Indian music was just an example I used to support my point. Could have been any system which uses quartertones.

I was thinking more in the classical sense as in orchestras. Again, Japan has several world renound orchestras who play western classical pieces. The same can be said of most other countries throughout the world.

I did not say western music was the greatest, you're over-simplifying and missing my point. I was just saying that it seems to me that the western musical system has an intrinsic quality that makes it appeal to anyone that listens to it through it's clearly defined and easy to comprehend pitch system. Other pitch systems with a huge number of tones in an octave tend to lose that appeal of accesibility to all but those who are conditioned to it.

I was trying to put cultral imperialism aside, basically.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant western music was the greatest. I also agree that 12 tones to an octave is a good system.