Riot - Thundersteel lineup reunion?

tsorl

Borne on Wings of Steel
Aug 3, 2003
Finland
www.ollischroderus.fi
I keep seeing these rumors about Riot's 1988 lineup reuniting next year for the 20th anniversary of Thundersteel, that would be Moore/Reale/Flyntz/Van Stavern/Jarzombek.
Riot's website is a joke but there's some mention of an upcoming announcement. Anyone know for sure?

This would be quite cool and even logical now that DiMeo's lost and gone forever. Hope they'll do an album as well and not just some random shows.

Failing a new album, hopefully they will make a DVD of Thundersteel performed in its entirety. That would be SWEET!

I'd buy that for sure, but I kinda hope Riot wouldn't go for a pure nostalgia reunion like so many others. And also, with the exception of Mindcrime, performing albums back-to-back live hasn't ever been all that amazing as one would think IMO, especially with non-theme albums such as Thundersteel.

Riot have been going for what, 30+ years now and have always moved forward. I'm just always really skeptical about these kinda reunions because in a lot of cases it's the beginning of the end when bands start playing anniversary shows etc.

Hadn't heard squat but it'll be nice a reunion with Moore on vocals although I doubt Van Stavern be there more like Pete Perez and thus the Live in Japan lineup.

NP: Lana Lane - 'Capture the Sun'

Huh!!!! Thundersteel ??? if it happens i'm there will pray for a DVD too
I was born in these streets years ago
I was the king of the neighbourhood.....

It would be great to see Tony Moore as a singer of Riot, but I don't think that it would be good if Mark Reale changed the whole line up to bring back all the other mebmers of the "Thundersteel era". Let's see, it's only rumors.

It would be great to see Tony Moore as a singer of Riot, but I don't think that it would be good if Mark Reale changed the whole line up to bring back all the other mebmers of the "Thundersteel era". Let's see, it's only rumors.

That was my point I doubt Mark let Mike Flyntz and Pete Perez goes, although bring back Jarzombek will be an inspired idea I support a lot :headbang:

NP: Project Creation - 'Dragonfly Garden'

I'd buy that for sure, but I kinda hope Riot wouldn't go for a pure nostalgia reunion like so many others. And also, with the exception of Mindcrime, performing albums back-to-back live hasn't ever been all that amazing as one would think IMO, especially with non-theme albums such as Thundersteel.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dio's Holy Diver DVD. Where they play the album in it's entirety (first 40 mins) and then play some of their other classics the second half of the concert.

I think that Rivera would be a really bad choice for Riot...
I like the man as well, but he's in fact not good enough for Riot's vocal lines, which are very demanding (I'm not talking about heights here).

I've heard that Tony Moore would be back (not the whole lineup) and that's great, cause Tirelli never was a good solution IMO. The fact that Moore/Flyntz's "Faith And Fire" didn't fare very well helped him joining the fold as well I think...
I'm just interested how the songs sung by DiMeo would sound in his interpretation, they have very different voices.

I think that Rivera would be a really bad choice for Riot...

What Rivera, James? He would be a TERRIBLE choice indeed, I tried to get into Destiny's End and I finally trade both albums, I don't like his vocals and I think he's overrated.

The fact that Moore/Flyntz's "Faith And Fire" didn't fare very well helped him joining the fold as well I think...

I was thinking about it too when I read the original post. But again I don't think Reale will dismiss Pete Perez the guy is an astounding bass player much better than Van Stavern as for the drummer position I'd love to see Jarzombek back but I don't know if he's willing to leave Metal Mike.

NP: Zoser Mez - 'Street Heat Zoser'

I don't know Mark Reale's thoughts, but I also find impossible to substitute Perez. It will be a criminal mistake.

What Rivera, James? He would be a TERRIBLE choice indeed, I tried to get into Destiny's End and I finally trade both albums, I don't like his vocals and I think he's overrated.

What? he used to be awesome up to Nosferatu.
Too bad he's not so good on Sins of The past and Destiny's end is disappointing in every aspect.
He wouldn't be good now but in 1989 that would have been awesome.

I was thinking about it too when I read the original post. But again I don't think Reale will dismiss Pete Perez the guy is an astounding bass player much better than Van Stavern as for the drummer position I'd love to see Jarzombek back but I don't know if he's willing to leave Metal Mike.

agree

What? he used to be awesome up to Nosferatu.
Too bad he's not so good on Sins of The past and Destiny's end is disappointing in every aspect.
He wouldn't be good now but in 1989 that would have been awesome.

I don't know about Nosferatu I got "burnt" with DE and still uninterested in checking the guy elsewhere, but hey that's only me :cool:

At www.metal-archives.com Moore and Van Stavern appear as current members of Riot. But there is nothing offical yet. What does this mean?:err:

I usually mistrust any info on M-A, but yes the line-up posted as current is the same that played "Live in Japan" very curious.

In their official site there's only this, but maybe a clue

Posted:12.12.07 NEWS
line.gif

I'll have an OFFICIAL STATEMENT from the band about some great news you already know about in a few days.

Happy holidays from all of us to you.

NP: Time Requiem - 'Ocean Wings'

I don't know about Nosferatu I got "burnt" with DE and still uninterested in checking the guy elsewhere, but hey that's only me :cool:
The first four Helstar Albums, he is top notch in them. Otherwise... yeh

At www.metal-archives.com Moore and Van Stavern appear as current members of Riot. But there is nothing offical yet. What does this mean?:err:

Nothing good, I'm afraid... :erk:
If there's any truth in that MA entry, then the criminal mistake has been done...

edit: just checked that site and as I expected, still no news, almost a month after that announcement.

I keep seeing these rumors about Riot's 1988 lineup reuniting next year for the 20th anniversary of Thundersteel, that would be Moore/Reale/Flyntz/Van Stavern/Jarzombek.

I know it's still just a rumor, but I'm ambivilent anyway. Thundersteel is probably a top 20 all time album for me. I think it is so underrated. It should be right up there with Keeper II as a Power Metal foundation.

HOWEVER, I'm always skeptical of a band trying to recapture a past era. I don't know if that combo can still play, and Riot, while solid, hasn't reached the top in quite a while.

I'd still be interested in a reunion, but I'm not going crazy, no matter how much I like Thundersteel (Privlege of Power was pretty good, too).

Steve in Philly

Try Distant Thunder from 2004 they recorded "Welcome the End" very good IMO, they had Mike Le Pond on Bass from Symphony X, good leftovers from Helstar, plus a re-do of Run with the Pack from Helstar & a killer cover of Restless & Wild from Accept.:kickass: