RIP Dime....

ENERTIA_Joe

Sep 9, 2004
I am at an absolute total loss for words after seeing this on the news this morning. Dime's playing was truly a HUGE influence on me & the other members of the band. I will now bore you all w/ some personal memories of one of my favorite bands...

I first heard of them back in early 1985 after reading about their new album at the time, "Projects In The Jungle". I immediately bought it & really got into it. Trust me - Pantera has come a LONG WAY since then, but at the time, it was good for what it was. People that say Pantera were "glam fags" back then more than likely didn't discover them until CFH anyways.....

Darrell was truly a genuinely nice, approachable guy & I talked to him a few times when I saw them back when they were touring in support of "Cowboys From Hell". The first time was when they were opening for Suicidal Tendencies & Exodus at Saratoga Winners in Albany. The only band on the bill I cared about was Pantera & I remmber when he came out, I was right in front of him & he came over & said hello & made some small talk w/ him before they played (as there weren't many people up front for them, as CFH was brand spanking new & most people weren't yet aware of Pantera's greatness). I was totally impressed by the fact that he wore a Wrathchild America shirt on that night.

I saw them again a few months later when they were opening for Prong @ Winners & after they were done, I got to do some catching up w/ him & asked him about playing songs from the first 4 albums, which he laughed & said "We're all done playing those tunes...".
I then asked him what Vinnie yells out at the beginning of Domination & told him that we thought it was "Farts stink like a motherfucker..."! He laughed his ass off & told me what Vinnie really said...

One more time @ Winners (makes me remember what a great club this absolute pice of shit for a venue used to be....) on the "Cowboys & Idiots" tour w/ Wrathchild America & to this day, that show is one of my all time fave gigs I've ever attended. Both bands were in top form - Jay came out & played "Primal Concrete Sledge" w/ Pantera & then Phil came out & sang a Black Flag song w/ WCA. I also remember Shannon sitting on the riser when Vinnie was playing. There was an absolute comraderie(sp) amongst the bands that was very impressive to see. I also remember Dime coming out & playing "I Ain't Drunk" w/ WCA. What a show.....

Thanks for great music over the last 19 years, Dime. Your music & legendary guitar playing has been & will continue to be a source of constant inspiration for me & countless others. :worship:

Joe

I saw Pantera twice myself at Winners. Once was the aforementioned packed-to-the-rafters Wrathchild show, but before that I saw them headline ("Cowboys" had JUST come out), with , if you can believe it, only about 40 people in the crowd. In both cases, they were amazing live and it was VERY obvious much bigger things lay ahead.

Just about anybody and everybody involved in playing and/or supporting metal has had something to say about what a shocking, untimely tragedy this whole thing is, so there isn't really much of anything I can add.

No matter what I or anyone else thought either way of the musical direction that Pantera eventually took or even the newer Damageplan sound, Darrell always remained a memorable guiatrist. There are lots of accomplished players out today, but TRUE greatness not only comes from skill, but also from setting yourself apart. When you heard a Dimebag/Diamond riff or solo, you knew right away who it belonged to. He did indeed have that rare combination.

Rest in peace brother.

I can't really add much to this, just wanna say my condolences to Darrell's family and friends, and my prayers go out to all those hurt by this tragedy.

Rest In Peace Darrell :cry:

Hey Joe....
Stacey here....
I am from Ohio (about 40 minutes north of Cloumbus)
and I sincerely hope in no way will this reflect on the fans of Metal in Ohio.....this one complete idiot does not represent the "REAL" metal fans in Ohio.
As is everyone else I am in a complete state of shock and trying to figure out how this could happen.....I know everyone thinks this for time to time when they hear of something like this....."This happens in other places" but it just goes to show...it can happen anywhere.
I have seen well over 200 shows at the Alrosa Villa and I can assure you it is a great place to see shows. Never once inside of there did I feel for my safety.
To Vinnie and all the other friends, Families, Fans, Mothers, Fathers, Kids......much LOVE...our hearts are with you.
Hopefully Dime's incredible pinch harmonics and Jack Hammer riffs...willcontinue to ring forever!!!!!!!!

Just thought I'd pass along this info & truly wish I could make it (courtesy of Blabbermouth.net):

A public memorial for DAMAGEPLAN/ex-PANTERA guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott will be held at the Arlington Convention Center in Arlington, Texas on Tuesday, December 14 beginning at 8:00 p.m. (not 9:00 p.m. as originally reported).

Arlington Convention Center
1200 Ballpark Way
Arlington, TX
(817) 459-5000

People wishing to sign the official obituary guestbook for Abbott can do so at Lagacy.com