RIP Gary Moore - a Guitar Hero

Shredlamode

PQ member
Sep 1, 2009
The renowned rock guitarist Gary Moore has died in a hotel room in Spain.

Mr Moore, 58, was originally from Belfast and was a former member of the legendary Irish group Thin Lizzy.

Adam Parsons, who manages Thin Lizzy, told the BBC that Mr Moore had died in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Mr Moore was originally drafted into Thin Lizzy by its singer Phil Lynott. He later gained acclaim for his solo work and was a former member of the Irish group Skid Row.

The Northern Ireland guitarist was only 16 when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row, which featured Lynott as lead vocalist.

He was later brought into Thin Lizzy by Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, another guitarist from Northern Ireland.

Mr Bell told the BBC on Sunday he was still "in shock" at Mr Moore's death.

"I still can't believe it," he said.

"He was so robust, he wasn't a rock casualty, he was a healthy guy.

"He was a superb player and a dedicated musician."

Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy said it been a pleasure to share a stage with Mr Moore.

"Playing with Gary during the Black Rose era was a great experience, he was a great player and a great guy," he said.

"I will miss him."

Niall Stokes, the editor of the Irish music magazine, Hot Press, described Mr Moore as a "genius".

The lead guitarist received critical acclaim for his work on the 1974 Thin Lizzy album, Nightlife, but would never be constrained by the music group format.

A year earlier, he had released his first solo album Grinding Stone and his virtuoso playing was to make him a recognised artist in his own right.

Although returning to Thin Lizzy briefly in the late 1970s, his solo work cotinued to garner interest and he also enjoyed UK chart success with Lynott, via singles Parisienne Walkways and Out In The Fields.

Throughout his career, Gary Moore was to embrace a range of genres including blues, metal and hard rock.

He performed on stage with a range of major artists and released 20 studio albums.

On a personal note Gary was a huge inspiration to me, from his solo career to his days in Thin Lizzy... whether he was playing hard rock or playing the most beautiful of blues stuff he was always a class act and was one of the greatest guitarists of his generation. RIP Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats really sad news, gutted. He was one of the first guitar players i got into. RIP Gary.

Just saw this. Sad news, a great loss for rock guitarists the world over. Will never forget the first time I heard Parisienne Walkways

RiP a true inspiration

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad news!

I was a huge fan in the 80's and loved tracks like "Empty Rooms", "Over the Hills and Far Away".

Never been much of a blues man so I've kind of missed a lot of his recent output but I did love the BBM project which featured Gary, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce. The album was called "Around the next dream"

Now Gary, get a band together once more with Phil Lynott...RIP fella.

It pleases me to see that Gary Moore has been remembered on the PQ forum. I'm a big fan of Thin Lizzy and through listening to their work I was lucky to discover The man, Gary Moore.

Out in the Fields will be a song that never ages to me, no matter how many times I listen to it. The solo would be one of my top 5 and I can't see that changing ever.

I wish I had taken the time to see Gary Moore live, now that day will not come and I'm saddened.

RIP Gary, truely one of the most naturally talented musicians I have ever heard.

In case people did not see, The Sun (in typical style) mis-reported cause of death as choking on vomit after a night of boozing. In actual fact, it has been confirmed today he died of a heart attack. May he rest in peace, unlike the scum who fabricate lies just to make money.