RIP Jon Lord

A damn shame, one of the founding fathers of the emerging 60s-70s hard rock sound. A great influence on me as a keyboardist. He was the one reason it was ok to play keys in a heavy rock band.

Nuts....very sad day for hard rock. For my money, Jon Lord and Ken Hensley set the standard for heavy keyboardists....Deep Purple would not have sounded the same without Lord.

+1

But I have to say Don Airey is a very worthy replacement for Deep Purple since Mr. Lord retired in 2002.

R.I.P. Jon Lord

This may be the saddest passing for me thus far this year. Jon Lord was the original keyboard hero of rock. I was fortunate enough to catch him once with Deep Purple before he retired, and my then seventeen-year-old mind was absolutely blown. Thankfully, he left us an incredible legacy. We'll never forget you, Jon!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

It is a very sad day. Jon Lord was a giant as a keyboardist, and his stuff mesmerized me when I was a kid. Many keyboardist in metal should get down on their knees tonight and thank Mr. Lord for his glorious gift to the Hard Rock and Metal world. Rest in Peace, Mr. Lord. :cry::cry:

PS: While reading the thread and typing my reply, I put on Purple's "Child in Time" on youtube. Only fitting.

If you sit down and listen to the first 3 DP albums, you will hear some amazing classical mixed with heavy rock. At that point, Blackmore was still coming into his own, but Jon Lord was already there, having first been a classical musician before moving into heavy rock. I remember being blown away with some of the things Jon Lord was doing with a Hammond B3 first time seeing them live in '70. Truly an incredible musician. R.I.P. Mr. Lord.