RME Fireface users .... help!

chaosmonger

Sep 16, 2006
Santiago, Chile
www.poemaarcanus.cl
Ok guys, I have a RME Fireface 800 and lately some of the analog inputs and outputs in the back of the unit are showing a big decrease on their levels.

First it was analog input #3 ... some day it started showing a considerably lower input level than the rest (discarded every other factor). Three months later the same started to happen with analog Input #2.

Outputs: first it was analog output #2 (right channel of the first stereo pair), and now Analog outputs #4 and #6 are also lower. What got me kinda worried is that they are all the right channel of their respective stereo pairs ... could it be just coincidence?

I thought it could be a dirty jacks case, so I sprayed a bit of contact cleaner on a male ts connector and then I worked it in/out repeatedly into the aforementioned jacks, but the problem persisted. I noticed that when I get the plugs (ts, unbalanced ones) halfway into the jacks the level increases, but once they are sitting on their "normal" position (all in) the level decreases.

I thought it may have been moisture, being the unit in a room with no curtains during winter (yes, I'll keep it away from the window and I will put some heavy curtains from now on ... I swear), so I carefuly opened the unit and used a hair dryer (withing a reasonable distance to avoid heat) for 1/2 hour a day, during 4 days, trying to get any moisture out of the jacks. I also kept it in a warm room into its box with 3 silica-gel bags inside ... still nothing.

I asked at the RME forums and, as it was predictable, all I get is "send it for repair to your local distributor" .. problem is that the distributor's service (videomedia= fuck them) is SHIT here in Chile (I'm trying to talk with the support people for week now and I still cannot get one fucker to talk to me), so:

I wanted to know if anyone has ever had this kind of problem with their Firefaces, and mostly, if anyone has attempted to repair it themselves. Any feedback will be appreciated. I won't do anything stupid, I promise, but I was wondering if this is just a matter of cleaning in a certain way, or maybe tightening some contacts .... whatever.

Cheers and thanxalot dudes!

Check that the drivers haven't reset themselves. It sometimes happens to me when I reboot my computer. The drivers load the default (or user-flashed) settings which can have some faders down or muted, or some settings set differently.

Wow, that was a quick reply! :kickass:

I have checked totalmix and nope, the problem is not there:

OUTPUTS: the output meters (third row) show an even level between left and right channels, the faders are set at the same level ... inside the box nothing is wrong, it is the "actual" signal coming out of the physical output which is low, so I assume it has to be the jacks or some component "outside the box"

INPUTS: the input meters (first row in totalmix) DO SHOW the decrease of the input level: I have all the input channels set the same, I connect my RNP (which for this purpose is receiving a constant signal, like a guitar feedback) into each of the analog inputs, and they all show the same input level except for #2 and #3, wich are considerably lower, again, this leads me to think it is a hardware problem "outside the box".

BTW, I did a clean installation of Win XP, formatted my C unit, then installed the FF800, just to be sure it wasn't some kind of deconfiguration issue. It wasn't.

Try posting on the rme users forum. RME tech support hangs there, so they might give you a better answer.

Btw, my FF400 has a bug that sometimes just a few INs/Outs work. I have to turn it off and on again , and then everything is perfect.