RME Multiface - PCI vrs PCI-E

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
I can get a killer deal on a Multiface, but it comes with the PCI card, not the PCI-E.

what kind of performance loss could I expect with this vrs the PCI-E?

PCIexpress has a higher bandwidth allocation, that might impact on your latency (ever so slightly) for the better, other than that the difference should really be negligible.

I have been using the Multiface I with the PCI card for many years and it runs rock solid. Didn't feel any need to upgrade yet.

hmm. I monitor through cubase anyway so I don't really need the totalmix thing...

I guess I should just jump on this, then? I figured the PCI-e was going to be a whole lot better.

edit: did it. hopefully it works out.

[UEAK]Clowd;9422023 said:
hmm. I monitor through cubase anyway so I don't really need the totalmix thing...

Only change totalmix do comparing to your actual monitoring through cubase is zero latency monitoring.
And you can make various and independant cue mix, route everything where you want...etc.
Great feature, really...

I'm a PCI multiface user's btw... No complain.

Only change totalmix do comparing to your actual monitoring through cubase is zero latency monitoring.
And you can make various and independant cue mix, route everything where you want...etc.
Great feature, really...

I'm a PCI multiface user's btw... No complain.

+1
I've struggled a little bit at first but now it's just awesome.

i have a PCI multiface and it can also go down to 32
on some driver versions the lowest was 64 though

hmm. it seems weird - the pci-e card is like $500... why would anyone do that if the PCI version works just as well??

+1
I've struggled a little bit at first but now it's just awesome.

I'm a bit confused - are you saying that somehow the totalmix software can take my cubase mix and send it to the performer(s) latency free?? seems to defy physics. I usually have at least a few plugins on while tracking. This would be killer for drums though where 2 or 3 milliseconds can make all the difference.

HolywtfBBQ, TotalMix gives us zero latency monitoring?

ffs, the more I learn about them, the more awesome these RME products become.

is this for real? I know this works when you are just direct monitoring through the interface, but I can't see how it would be even remotely possible if you are trying to monitor through plugins and stuff in your DAW?

Imo it don't work within the DAW...
So it works like [UEAK] mentioned, interface direct monitoring.

But when you work with a choir or tracking a band live you will fall in love with totalmix.

What's so great about TotalMix? Everyone always raves about it but basically every single interface has a control panel application that lets you route things for direct monitoring...

Yes of course but can you create something like 10 differents cue mix at same time. Route everything everywhere from daw to daw in real time...etc.
And of course all this with a really ugly design:lol:

What's so great about TotalMix? Everyone always raves about it but basically every single interface has a control panel application that lets you route things for direct monitoring...

I always feel a sudden urge to stab myself in the eye with a fork when I have to use it. I'm sure it's simple as hell when you get used to it, but every few months when I sit in front of it and try to route something, I get some sort of problems.