PCI Interface noise

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Do any of you guys find when using PCI soundcards or interfaces that there are computerized, beeping, whining type sounds when you really crank the volume and start to get to the noise floor?

I've even had this with my Mbox 2 Mini, which is a USB device. I have no idea why, but it seems to be some residual effect of PCI bus noise. I have no idea how it makes its way to the audio outputs but it happens with the Mbox, my Creative Audigy 2 & to a very small degree my RME Multiface, which is connected via a HDSPe card (PCI-e).

Is this avoidable at all?

Seems like it might be line noise - do you have a power conditioner (specifically one with line filtering) Ermin?

I certainly do not! How would this line noise be getting induced, and how would a power conditioner with line filtering overcome it?

Just in case, if by 'line noise' you're implying it's coming off the IEC connector, then no, the noise is only present when the TRS/XLR cables are in.

Just in case, if by 'line noise' you're implying it's coming off the IEC connector, then no, the noise is only present when the TRS/XLR cables are in.

AH, nevermind then, cuz that is what I was implying, but since it only occurs when you have cables connected, then that brings to mind the more likely culprit, the dreaded GROUND LOOP. Isolation Transformer time! (even if it doesn't solve this immediate problem, it's still great to have)

I'm fairly certain these sounds are being induced somewhere within the actual PC, as they likely have to do with conflicts on the PCI or USB buses. These aren't the sounds you associate with ground loops. I actually had one of these in my reamp chain, but the Red Eye took care of it quite well with the earth lift.