Rme Pci Cards?

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
Im in the process of looking for a new interface(Firestudio isnt cutting it) and upon browsing through the sweetwater catalog i came across this bad boy.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php
Would i just need to get some preamps to hook up via adat and i would have an interface with rme structure and converters? Im very puzzled when it comes to this so any help/information about these cards would be awesome!

Well I can tell you that anything you connected via ADAT would already be converted to digital, so you wouldn't be reaping any benefits from the RME converters - honestly, that looks more like something that would be useful for integrating your already-good converters into one computer system (since it seems like it only has two analog in's and outs) so I think you'd be better off with a Fireface 400 or Multiface II tbh! (though I guess you could get the expansion boards, though that would probably put it at a price point where it wouldn't be worth it)

Or there's always the Profire 2626, which has more than adequate AD/DA (I say more than adequate because of all the happy users of it on here ;))

Im in the process of looking for a new interface(Firestudio isnt cutting it) and upon browsing through the sweetwater catalog i came across this bad boy.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php
Would i just need to get some preamps to hook up via adat and i would have an interface with rme structure and converters? Im very puzzled when it comes to this so any help/information about these cards would be awesome!

That unit is basically just a plain interface box between your computer and whatever converters you currently own. They've tried to do a 'jack of all trades' thing with it so it can take two digital standards, MIDI and it gives you one analog I/O for some reason (which, by the way, is the only thing on there that can interface directly with a preamp).

So essentially you need an external converter box to hook up via ADAT in order to make this thing a viable multi-track interface.

Or there's always the Profire 2626, which has more than adequate AD/DA (I say more than adequate because of all the happy users of it on here ;))

the RME A/D, D/A is very good. and pci still has less latency than firewire. I had an RME fireface 800 first, and sold it cause i didn't need all the options. so, I got the RME 9632 and picked up better preamps. the 9632 is a good card, and so is the new PCIe equivalent, the RME AIO.

That unit is basically just a plain interface box between your computer and whatever converters you currently own. They've tried to do a 'jack of all trades' thing with it so it can take two digital standards, MIDI and it gives you one analog I/O for some reason (which, by the way, is the only thing on there that can interface directly with a preamp).

So essentially you need an external converter box to hook up via ADAT in order to make this thing a viable multi-track interface.

It has two channels of A/D and D/A, and there are expansion boards you can buy (for not much $) to expand to 6 analog ins and 6 outs, and you still have the S/PDIF digital in, so with something like an API A2D, you could push it to 8 ins and outs.

I have considered the profire 2626 heavily!
My problem with the firestudio is the drivers/hardware.
I cannot even achieve a 96 sample buffer size with one audio track playing on my core i5 rig .
Anyone have similar problems with the profire?

Ill look into the profire more, my main concern is stability. Joey has a fireface 800 and ive sat with him for 300+ hours and ive never heard a dropout ,click or pop. This is why i was interested in the rme card. A fireface is a bit out of my price range but i will definately look into the profire 2626 more.

Ill look into the profire more, my main concern is stability. Joey has a fireface 800 and ive sat with him for 300+ hours and ive never heard a dropout ,click or pop. This is why i was interested in the rme card. A fireface is a bit out of my price range but i will definately look into the profire 2626 more.

a strong PC with the right drivers will run just about any of the big name interfaces without any issues these days, clicks/dropouts has been becoming less and less of an issue over the last five years it seems. even my last two firepods were always smooth as buttah. either way, profire ya can't go wrong, and i don't think anyone has mentioned that it leaves the protools option open down the line.

Yeah, if anything, it'd be AKM converters, which are the same used by RME (in other words, not proprietary), but there's also the analog buffers and stages before/after (in the case of AD/DA, respectively) that affect the sound - still, as I said, I think it's again a case of "if you can't get good sounds with a Profire, the unit isn't the problem!" :)