what pci interface to get

fizzinbizzin

Jan 28, 2010
I have a maudio mobile pre but the sound card isnt very good so my headphones sound like shit out of it. I was looking to upgrade to pci interface but dont know if i should or not. http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php RME is suposed to be good but is kind of expensive. Does anyone have experience with RME cards or suggest any other cards?

I have the RME Multiface and I really like it. Going to sell it and get the Fireface when I have the extra money as it doesn't work with my laptop.
It seems alot of people like RME. Have you heard the diffrence between multiface and fireface?

HDSP 9632 is really nice, only 2 inputs but if
it fits your needs the card is really good

It only has 2 inputs but i dont know if i should spend the extra because i may need more 1 day... So undecided.

if you have to track drums it may be a good idea
to spend more and get a 8 I/O interface,
everything else can be done with two inpits IMHO.

Its hard to recommend you something when you don't tell us what you are going to be using it for and what your setup is. Do you already have converters and/or pre's with ADAT or S/Pdif? If not your going to be limited by the 9632 since it only has 1 analog I/O, if i'm not mistaken. Since you have a mobile pre i'm going to assume you don't.

I would suggest looking for a used Multiface. Even if you get the first version, you still get 8 analog I/O of rme conversion which would get you started properly to do some serious recording. That is if you absolutely need to go the PCI route and you have some pre's. PCI is definitely the best way to go, i am not saying otherwise, however you seem to be concerned price wise and want to upgrade from your mobile pre to something decent. I would much rather recommend you a firewire interface like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, especially since you can get it online for about 375$ and you get 8 preamps along with the same connectivity the 9632 would offer. Remember the RME's don't have pre's built-in like your mobile pre does unless you go with the firefaces.

Its hard to recommend you something when you don't tell us what you are going to be using it for and what your setup is. Do you already have converters and/or pre's with ADAT or S/Pdif? If not your going to be limited by the 9632 since it only has 1 analog I/O, if i'm not mistaken. Since you have a mobile pre i'm going to assume you don't.

I would suggest looking for a used Multiface. Even if you get the first version, you still get 8 analog I/O of rme conversion which would get you started properly to do some serious recording. That is if you absolutely need to go the PCI route and you have some pre's. PCI is definitely the best way to go, i am not saying otherwise, however you seem to be concerned price wise and want to upgrade from your mobile pre to something decent. I would much rather recommend you a firewire interface like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, especially since you can get it online for about 375$ and you get 8 preamps along with the same connectivity the 9632 would offer. Remember the RME's don't have pre's built-in like your mobile pre does unless you go with the firefaces.

thanks so much for this. All i need right now is to record guitar with sm57 and vocals... its very basic. I would like to record my acoustic drums 1 day but not really needed right now, it would be nice to have the inputs later on though. So if i cant do any of this with the pci card then i guess its useless to me. I didnt want a external interface thats why i was looking into a pci option...

There is no such thing as a PCI card that does everything without external gear. There's always a compromise depending on the budget you have. An 8 channel firewire interface would be my suggestion to you since you would have everything essential to record now and even later when you are ready to track drums. Even if you do get something like the 9632 you will STILL need external gear like converters and mic pre's.

The only thing i know that has built in pre's with converters and all that stuff built into the PCI card would be the M-Audio Delta 1010LT but i would never recommend something like that as its a very outdated piece of gear with shitty pre's and converters.

If you are going to stay with M-audio don't upgrade to Win 7. I had nothing but problems with crackling, pops, distortion and dropped audio and i'm not the only one. Their forum is filled with win 7 users with nothing but problems. They have
had about a year and a half to fix this and they have done nothing!

I ended up breaking down and getting a Focusrite Sapphire 6 to replace my M-audio delta 2496.

There is no such thing as a PCI card that does everything without external gear. There's always a compromise depending on the budget you have. An 8 channel firewire interface would be my suggestion to you since you would have everything essential to record now and even later when you are ready to track drums. Even if you do get something like the 9632 you will STILL need external gear like converters and mic pre's.

The only thing i know that has built in pre's with converters and all that stuff built into the PCI card would be the M-Audio Delta 1010LT but i would never recommend something like that as its a very outdated piece of gear with shitty pre's and converters.

oh ok i see so i would need to by mic pre's on top of the card... i guess that would be ok but some mic pre's are expensive. Im going to look into the saffire pro 40. Seems like the way to go, apreciate the help :)
If you are going to stay with M-audio don't upgrade to Win 7. I had nothing but problems with crackling, pops, distortion and dropped audio and i'm not the only one. Their forum is filled with win 7 users with nothing but problems. They have
had about a year and a half to fix this and they have done nothing!

I ended up breaking down and getting a Focusrite Sapphire 6 to replace my M-audio delta 2496.

I am really not a fan of maudio i bought a fast track at the start and the drivers sucked balls had to return it for this other peice of shit mobile pre... atleast it records.. How are you liking that sapphire 6 sound wise?