PCIe to PCI adapters

Apr 5, 2008
Washington
I've been looking into getting a Mac Pro (which only has PCIe slots), and there's an HD2 Accel Core system on eBay but it's got standard PCI cards. I would imagine that it would be a bad idea to use adapters because I had all kinds of issues when I was messing with different firewire cards/adapters on my old interface with my PC laptop... has anyone had any experience doing this with HD cards?

I'm interesting too because I really want to go with protools HD but a new HD rig is really pricey and I didn't heard about any pc based HD rig. So need a mac pro for that, so if I can save a couple of buck with a way for but pci card on it...

I'm in the same boat as well, running an HD3 rig on a Powermac G4. The Magma chassis or the Digi Exchange program are really the only viable options, and unfortunately both are expensive.

Going to hold out to see if Digi comes out with new hardware this year.

fwiw its worth, my mate just sold his hd 3 in a magma chassis pci and used the money to upgrade his 002 to new hd pcie.

Im in the process of selling my HD3 that ive used in a PCIX to PCIX magma chassis (P7R4) for the last year or 2 and worked great,
If you are going for PCIe-PCI-X you gotta get a magma PE6R4 chassis to be supported by digidesign,
There are some chapo chassis by a company called startech but they wont be qualified or suppoter by digi so they will point at that chassis if you ever have a problem and blame that,
THE PE6R4 have a 4x PCIe host card and the Startech only has a x1PCIe host card so you may get bandwidth issues,

I actually had an OSX Hack running on my PC with the PTHD for while which worked well (just dont like Mac OS so trashed it and kept WinXP).

Im selling my rig while its still worth money and waiting to see what digi come up with next too.

Go to the digidesign DUC forums there is plenty of chat about this sort of thing there by people with the setup you are discussing.