FUCK FUCK FUCK (the rant)

Lot of pro's actually use Hackintosh because of this.

I will give you a million dollars if you can name at least 3.

Also:

You have only to buy the right components and everything works like a charm...

All published information and evidence points to the absolute contrary, unfortunately. Getting it to work correctly in the first place is the main hassle.

it might be the CPU though, no idea really.
could be the PSU, Logicboard or CPU

When you plug the power cable into the G5, do you hear a clicking or popping sound? If so, that is trickle power and the power supply is working but the logic board is faulty. If you don't hear anything at all, most likely the power supply is bad.

When you plug the power cable into the G5, do you hear a clicking or popping sound? If so, that is trickle power and the power supply is working but the logic board is faulty. If you don't hear anything at all, most likely the power supply is bad.

it starts up to the grey screen, then after a minute the fans go crazy.
I've cleared nvram, rest everything, treid to start in safe mode, tried to start from the install disk, removed ram, removed harddrive etc..always the same, it won't even start from the DVD.

the harddrive was fine (I could run the Mac in target mode and access it from my MBP).

I even brought it to the mac service and they couldn't help me either.

I will give you a million dollars if you can name at least 3.

Tue Madsen and other big studios in my country.

Also:

All published information and evidence points to the absolute contrary, unfortunately. Getting it to work correctly in the first place is the main hassle.

I built mine in 1 hour and it was completely operative in 3 hours (including plugin installation). If someone doesn't know how to setup it, it's not my problem.
Anyway I've only said it's a solution, expecially for Lasse's situation...you don't want to spend 10k €, but if the only solution "you" want is spending 10k €, there is nothing to discuss.

it starts up to the grey screen, then after a minute the fans go crazy.
I've cleared nvram, rest everything, treid to start in safe mode, tried to start from the install disk, removed ram, removed harddrive etc..always the same, it won't even start from the DVD.

the harddrive was fine (I could run the Mac in target mode and access it from my MBP).

I even brought it to the mac service and they couldn't help me either.

Not being particularly familiar with macs, what exact sequence of screens do you see?

I think you can pretty much eliminate the PSU as the problem, as well as the CPU. If either of those wasn't functioning then you almost certainly wouldn't see anything on screen. A small motherboard fault could be the problem but seeing as the grey screen includes peripheral initialisation (or so my quick googling tell me :p) I would suspect it's much more likely a card that's dead/not seated properly and is causing a crash.

Alternatively, the fans going crazy could indicate that your heat sink isn't seated on the CPU properly. and it's just coincidence that the overheating gets the best of it at the grey screen

Not being particularly familiar with macs, what exact sequence of screens do you see?

I think you can pretty much eliminate the PSU as the problem, as well as the CPU. If either of those wasn't functioning then you almost certainly wouldn't see anything on screen. A small motherboard fault could be the problem but seeing as the grey screen includes peripheral initialisation (or so my quick googling tell me :p) I would suspect it's much more likely a card that's dead/not seated properly and is causing a crash.

Alternatively, the fans going crazy could indicate that your heat sink isn't seated on the CPU properly. and it's just coincidence that the overheating gets the best of it at the grey screen

yeah, those are indeed the most common issues, but usally they can be fixed be resetting nvram, reseating the rams etc.
even mac service says it can only be logicboard or CPU....
well, we'll see, time to upgrade anyways, I'll just use the "new old" mac in studio B then.

I appreciate the suggestions, but most of them are only a compromise (well, of course they are, cause the idea was to save me some money, thanks for that), but I will NEVER EVER deal with compromises of any sort when it comes to quality and my work (after all it's my name in the booklet), I am a perfectionist.
I have rather 1 awesome channel than 24 mediocre ones, definitely no PC, Hackintosh, Reaper, Cubase, PT native etc for me.
I guess I'll try to find an old G5 2.5 dual to bridge the time until I can afford the new system

Wish you luck! I also think, you won´t regret upgrading your system..... yeah, it´s a hell lot of money for sure, but ofc the day just had to come and your new system will hopefully also last for several years.

Regards

Sorry to hear that Lasse...

Reading all your post it look like you haven't so many choice since you didn't want go with magma chassis way.

As I already posted before, look on ebay, Gearslutz.... Yes it's used but you have really little chance to get a card that don't pass digitest.
My core card came from CA. I payed France tax but it was only 48 euros at the end. So nothing bad.

At the end you still need to spend massive amount of cash... Good luck Lasse.

OK, so I'm gonna give you my opinion. Disclaimer: don't think I question your decisions or want to tell you what you should do.

From my point of view you need an updated system, fast CPU, stability and compatibility with your workflow.
I've never liked PT, had it on my engineer's studio (on a hackintosh btw :lol:). Maybe I'm too young and inexperienced to like it, as I haven't even seen an analog mixing console in my life, let alone use it... BUT, if were going to use PT, I'd use PT Native, with the most awesome interface I could afford.

So, you need those two TDM only plugins, fair enough then, but here's what, in my opinion, you could consider:

gabriel g said:

"buy new mac pro: 2700€
buy protools 9 native 500€
buy any top class interface that runs firewire and has total delay compensation or no latency at all.
for example Metric Halos 2882 : 1600€
Hook up your converters via adat."

around 5000€

My question is: Are those 2 TDM plugins worth the additional 5K€ considering an outdated system, that's gonna drive you financially crazy?

I think you are amazingly talented, and you could even sound almost as awesome as you do using Reaper's stock plugins.

Anyways, I have a friend that not long ago was trying to sell his HD3 system (Spain), so if you want I can make a call and ask him about it.

Best wishes and good luck whatever you end up with! ;)

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

I think I'll be going with a new 8-core (ca3500) and an pcie crossgrade(ca3000).
I guess you know it anyway, but don't buy the harddisks and RAM from Apple. Allthough they cut the prices for the RAM upgrades by 50% (!) since the Mac Pros came out, it's still ridiculously expensive.

I can recommend Cancom, they build BTO-Macs for commercial purposes:
http://shop.cancom.de/produkt/sid=vyBm87hGwtWUsW9FHwkjAM/inst=47/10020551

The Ram is a lot cheaper there and the harddisks aswell. They use good Western Digital harddisks, while Apple uses the cheap Hitachi ones..
Also you can get either 36 months or even 60 months guarantee for very few Euros - even with on site repair etc.
They also are the first "Apple Authorized Systems Integrator" in Germany (and also Authorized Reseller, Service Provider and Solution Expert).

So yeah, check it out before buying it at the Apple Store ;)
PS: If you pay 70€ extra you get a replacement Mac Pro the next time your Mac dies (that's valid 36 months) :lol:

Hey Lasse, this is my apple seller: fundk.com.

They have the normal Ram prices. I bought all the HD´s at amazon.

Make sure you buy a new mac pro, and no used one from 2008-2009.
That 8-cores are slower then the current quad-cores.

And to make it even more "pain in the ass". I heard rumours that new mac pros are on its way, with TB and all that new sweet stuff