FUCK FUCK FUCK (the rant)

.... it sounds like there are some good options the others have presented for you to consider. Much better than having zero options

definitely right, and I appreciate that.
I'm just afraid of compromises, especially if they're a couple thousand € compromises :(

but yeah, I appreciate the help, definitely!
gonna have to think about it a bit more I guess

thanks Gabriel, would like to when I find the time actually.
couldn't be happier with my apogee AD16x though, just wish the gayas G5 Quad 2.5 I just bought had PCI slots...gayness

What about PC hackintosh setup?? Or simply moving to PC. Pt9 works well for me on windows 7

no Metric Halo.

Plus, I'm so happy about the fact that I don't even own a PC....best step in my professional life to get rid of that junk, I'm never going back

John_C: yes, same era, virtually identical, except for the CPU.

it might be the CPU though, no idea really.
could be the PSU, Logicboard or CPU

Pretty bad news..... Hackintosh would be my suggestion, too. PT HD should work with it.... but its kinda "hard" for a non-nerd to setup. A friend of mine has done it and was totally happy....

Don´t sell your Bogner modded Marshall..... you could sell me your 2nd earforce so i dont have to w8 :D.

BTW: good luck finding an assistant, gonna be the happiest metalhead around i guess :D

Regards

Edit: Just read through the internet...... PT HD on Hackintosh should run well.......

John_C: yes, same era, virtually identical, except for the CPU.

it might be the CPU though, no idea really.
could be the PSU, Logicboard or CPU

How confident are you with hardware? Have you tried taking the cpu from the broken one and testing it in the working on?
If it works then you'll have a fully working machine working the same as your old one.

Pretty bad news..... Hackintosh would be my suggestion, too. PT HD should work with it.... but its kinda "hard" for a non-nerd to setup. A friend of mine has done it and was totally happy....

Don´t sell your Bogner modded Marshall..... you could sell me your 2nd earforce so i dont have to w8 :D.

BTW: good luck finding an assistant, gonna be the happiest metalhead around i guess :D

Regards

Edit: Just read through the internet...... PT HD on Hackintosh should run well.......

I dont think a hackintosh is a good solution in a prof. music studio.

It's in the gray area of being legit, no official support, setup trouble like you stated yourself and a fuck-ton of hardware compatibility problems. Yeah, some guys might have managed to run a completely working Hackintosh setup in a professional audio environment, but having put several Hackintosh test machines together, I'd still never, ever suggest it to someone who does serious audio work.

This has been discussed over quite a many times in here.

Dodgy legalities, not long term reliable with updates, tends to not work exactly perfectly or predictably. Even the biggest techy advocates of hackintoshes will tell you that it's not generally a smooth road.

all that

I was thinking about a hack a long time, but after making the math (with high quality items) I came to something only 500€*cheaper and I would NOT had the great apple support and stuff thats why I chose the mac pro

How confident are you with hardware? Have you tried taking the cpu from the broken one and testing it in the working on?
If it works then you'll have a fully working machine working the same as your old one.

yeah, I might actually try that after the recording sessions have finished.

so sad the water colled quad 2.5 doesn't have PCI slots apparently :(

Don't know if it's the same in Germany but Mac stores in the UK offer 0% loans to people using Apple products for work . It's a pretty sweet deal , they also do apogee products on the same terms .

My hackintosh is pretty solid. Zero stops after 6 months of intense use.
Maybe it's not professional like a Mac Pro...but it these situations you can save a big amount of money. Lot of pro's actually use Hackintosh because of this. An old G4 or G5 blows and you have to spend 10k € for a new mac and new cards.
You have only to buy the right components and everything works like a charm...and you can use your old HD cards.