Robotic kicks

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Just had a question I wanted to ask. When you're using the typical modern 'typewriter' kick sample when mixing a metal project, what do you do to stop that robotic sound during fast double-bass parts?

I've heard Andy likes varying the EQ, but I'm not really sure how to implement it so that each kick varies from the one before or after.

Cheers.

Yeah, filtering helps a lot with this. I also tend to filter during "breakdown" parts or whatever, where the kicks don't have to cut through layers of guitars, etc. Rolling off the high end can help those sparse sections sound more natural.

I like to use different samples in freeware Sfz sampler which has a random and a cycle round robin features - this technique can eliminate the so called "machinegun effect".

It is always good if the number of different samples at a particular velocity is >5 or even 10 with left and right hits too.

You guys don't do any sample variation during the faster parts? Like not changing intensity, but say EQ the same kick sample in different ways, then use it as about 5 different samples to trigger randomly.

I was just listening to 'The Gathering' and it almost sounds like the sample is changing slightly every time its played on the faster parts.

Moonlapse said:
You guys don't do any sample variation during the faster parts? Like not changing intensity, but say EQ the same kick sample in different ways, then use it as about 5 different samples to trigger randomly.

I was just listening to 'The Gathering' and it almost sounds like the sample is changing slightly every time its played on the faster parts.
don't think so, no. Andy's memory will be better than mine on this but we made that sample together by recording two different d4 samples into my Kurzweil K2000S and mapping them to two adjacent keys. then i struck both keys simultaneously while Andy captured the results on another sampler. took a bunch of tries to get even one that was hitting together properly with no phase problems or noticeable flamming using that method, but in the end it worked great, as you can hear. i don't think we came up with more than one good one though.

well... well... moonlapse you fag!!!.. more like moonfag!!!.. you can't produce ANYTHING... stop patrolling the opeth forums and start writing MUSIC before PRODUCING!!!.... opeth aren't the only band in this fucked up mud ball of crazies. Akerfeldt doesn't love you... MOVE ON YOU FUCKTARD!!!... COMMIT SUCIDE WHILE YOU CAN... THE METAL WORLD AND ESPECIALLY OPETH'S WORLD WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOU... or grow some balls and man up!

MR DEATH said:
well... well... moonlapse you fag!!!.. more like moonfag!!!.. you can't produce ANYTHING... stop patrolling the opeth forums and start writing MUSIC before PRODUCING!!!.... opeth aren't the only band in this fucked up mud ball of crazies. Akerfeldt doesn't love you... MOVE ON YOU FUCKTARD!!!... COMMIT SUCIDE WHILE YOU CAN... THE METAL WORLD AND ESPECIALLY OPETH'S WORLD WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOU... or grow some balls and man up!
wow, how 14 years old of you. hey by the way, 7th grade called for you.... it wants it's insults and maturity level back.

you know...I never realized this until now, but yeah, during the "breakdown" type of parts, the bass drum does sound weaker.

I find that wierd because I usually just love the bass drum during that and i want to feel it more...but I guess that ruins it eh?

Mutant said:
I like to use different samples in freeware Sfz sampler which has a random and a cycle round robin features - this technique can eliminate the so called "machinegun effect".

Which sampler you use? I've been looking for ages for a freeware sampler that can randomize samples.