Rock Harvest

It's just something I've noticed through the years that you never go solo. It's something I'll probably never understand as I love going to shows solo.

I have gone to shows solo before.
There is just a lot of folks who have gotten into the scene in our area, such as yourself, within the past few years.

Pretty much most doom shows I have gone to have been solo!!!!

Yep!!! and you probably have a little more expendable income with them OUT of the house.

Yeah..a ton.. thats partly how we wound up accidentally spending almost $1000 on shirts and CDs at PP this year. :) Its nice to be at this point, especially after the challenging teenage years.

However, given the drama surrounding Rock Harvest this past year, not to mention the questionable practices adopted by the promoters, you have to understand why people would take the news with a grain of salt. I'm not just saying that out of the blue - one of the bands I work with pulled out because of the same reason most other bands did.
Agreed.

Although I would love to see Anubis Gate, I'd be surprised it there's another iteration of this festival. From everything I've been able to glean, it would seem the promoters were heavily reliant on advanced ticket sales this year. Well, if advanced ticket sales were insufficient to pay for this year's bands, then what are they going to do next year with zero advanced ticket sales? They've built up so much ill will in the Metal community, that very few people are going to buy tickets in advance of their shows. And not only have they built up ill will amongst the fans, I have to imagine they've significantly tarnished their reputation, as well as burnt bridges with artists and managers. Of course, all of that ignores the fact that they must have lost money on this year's festival. And if there ever was a mystery sponsor with deep pockets ready to bankroll this festival, I doubt he'll be reaching for his checkbook after this debacle.

All in all, there were maybe 150 people there last night. When Barlow looked at the crowd he said, "Let's just treat this for what is; a bunch of guys jamming for a bunch of guys." Even for Ashes of Ares, the crowd lacked any real energy. Despite various Ashes members calling for a pit, it was all the crowd could do to occasionally throw horns. I don't know what time everyone got there, but by 10:30PM, it seemed like everyone was ready for bed.

As for the performances, A Sound of Thunder was excellent. Nina sounded great and the bass player is quite the bad ass. Rivera Bomma sounded tight, but isn't my cup of tea. As for Ashes, they just didn't have their "A" game. It was clear from the opening note that Barlow was pretty sick. He acknowledged as much on stage and did his best to power through the set. But there's simply no way to deliver a quality set when the singer, on whom much of the sound is reliant, is dealing with sinus issues and allergies. And of course, technical difficulties didn't help.

The venue itself could never contain an actual festival. It was a reasonable size for a club, but was hardly "festival" sized. The sound system was a C+ at best and the stage was small. There was a guy selling CDs... I think he had maybe 200 CDs for sale. He was set up right next to a woman who was selling a "miracle cream" that promised to "shrink your ass in 45 minutes". I would have tried the cream, just to imbue this trip report with a sense of journalistic integrity, but I'm OK with the size of my ass.

As a side note... I ordered a Captain Morgan & Diet Coke. I watched the bartender poor some off-brand rum into my cup and then add soda. When I asked her about it, she just denied it... always a clear sign of a well run establishment.

Somehow I'm thinking, Glenn aint shaking in his Hawaiian shirt.

Despite having tickets for all three days, I'm writing this report from home. While I'm sure there are a number of a quality local bands on tonight's line up, there were none I was familiar enough with that warranted us sticking around.

I have to give another round of kudos to the bands who actually played. Not only did they have to deal with all the crap that led up to this festival, but I have to imagine they were disappointed not to be playing to a bigger, more enthusiastic crowd. However, they powered through like true professionals and made it a good night of music. So "cheers" to them.

From Burning Shadows:

ATTENTION: WE ARE BEING FORCED TO WITHDRAW FROM ROCK HARVEST II TONIGHT. We tried everything in our power to make this show happen, but it was made impossible for us to play tonight. We apologize to our brothers and sisters who were looking forward to crushing some heads with us tonight. Worse still, it appears that refunds are not being given. If you are a RH ticketholder, send us a message and we will try to make it up to you!

Please share our status to get the word out.

~Jen

The funny thing is, Simon, you have recently given me crap over what I have gone to and not after trying to be "in the scene" and going to shows of bands you don't even know or like to fit in. Also equally funny is the crap you give me for not going to see shows when you missed MANY shows over the past couple of years for a girlfriend who was giving you crap for going to them. At least when I don't go to a show it's because I choose my family over said show. I know you are making up for lost time and, let's face it, missing out the first time on lots of these bands, but no need to be an ass about it in the process.

HES NOT LINE BREAKING HIS POST AND IS TYPING IN PROSE EVERYONE RUN SHIT'S GOING DOWN.

Apparently, they turned the house lights on during Raven's set last night and kicked them off the stage. In other news, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin have just been confirmed for Rock Harvest IV (tickets are on sale now).

Apparently, they turned the house lights on during Raven's set last night and kicked them off the stage. In other news, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin have just been confirmed for Rock Harvest IV (tickets are on sale now).

Yeah I'm guessing cut off time. Curious though Zod, how was the changeover between sets? Was that at least organized?

This instantly reminded me of what happened to Sentenced at the poorly-run "March Metal Meltdown" in New Jersey many years ago. It's unfortunate that this debacle is almost reaching a Jack Koshick level. At least Rock Harvest's issues seem mostly related to incompetence or misfortune, as opposed to Koshick's premeditated fraud.

The what? Raven shows up and puts on a good show and gets hurried off the stage? That's so classy, Rock Harvest..

yeah..."accidentally".......RIGHT!!!!!!!!! :Spin:

Seriously! We brought $600 in cash.. It's not my fault that it was my first time and I had no idea how tasty the vendor room would be, or that I wouldn't get any glares from my wife for feeding my tshirt addiction.. :)