Rock In Rio - Fucking Amazing!

PIV Bassman

Nomad
Apr 17, 2001
Here and There in Melbourne
Visit site
Just bought Rock In Rio tonight and I have to say it has blown me away!! I cranked it up soon as I got home and was pleasantly surprised to hear it sounded great, the production is much better than I expected.
How bloody good does Nicko's kit sound? The man's a fucking maniac! The crowd noise sent a shiver down my spine, bloody hell I would give anything to have been there!
This album has reminded me why I love Maiden so much and I have only listened to the first CD! It sounds great with the three guitars and the setlist is a good mix, I reckon this wipes the floor with Live After Death!
The enhanced video bits are great, I cannot wait for the DVD, guess I'll have to buy a DVD player as well haha!!

MAIDEN FUCKING ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! \m/ \m/

Anyone seen the NOTB DVD yet?

Ive had the NOTB DVD for like 3 months, doesnt anyone listen? :D Anyway, its great :)

Also, I agree, Rock In Rio is so cool :D, crowds a bit quiet though ;)

PIV - i certainly think in many ways it is much better than LAD, except for the guitar mix, but that is mostly due to having to mix 3 guitars which would and does on occassions get a bit messy.

But in terms of the overall sound, the drums and bottom end power, crowd volume, Bruce vocals.......RIR is king!

Its one of those "Classic Albums" documentary things, its about the making of it, and all that kind of thing, its pretty damn cool :D

Yeah. Hmmm, three songs into it last night and I quickly remembered why I was never too excited about it.
I'll give it another good listen today on a better sound system and see how I feel.

I have most of the RIR tracks as MP3's / bootlegs etc... Do you guys think the RIR CD mix is sufficent to make the purchase worthwhile? i will probably buy it anyway (for Collection etc).

Maybe I'm getting selfish but I feel as if Sanctuary have received enough of my money over the years... maybe I should let it go and wait for the DVD... ?

I am finding it hard to get excited about a CD containing tracks I've already got... I held the CD in my hand last week at JB for about $28 and even had the money in my pocket but held back which is so not like me when it comes to Maiden (like most people here I have everything else as such). Didnt help I was really pissed they didnt have Tnotb DVD either.

Anyone else feel like this kinda *scared* to be dissapointed after buying it ?

I felt that way too.
Even now when I own it, I still feel that way. I'm going to go give it a listen now.. oh god I hope it rocks.

Well, I enjoyed it, the crowd is really lively and the production is ok (f**king Kevin Shirley :mad: ). Plus they do Sign Of The Cross and Clansman which are both great! :headbang:

Its not essential listening though I guess, but I like it :)

Los4, if it was a double CD that cost $35-$40 i would have been hesitant to buy it, especially after Oz got left out of a 'world' tour once again.

But after i decided $25 was affordable, im glad i got it - because it definitely rocks and is the only live CD Maiden have released that challenges Live After Death way back in 1985 - and that is saying something.

I think for sentimental & nostalgic reasons, LAD will always make me feel something that RIR doesn't (ie - like a teenager hehe) BUT RIR has a fantastic vibe and it has heaps of power in the sound (even though guitars sound better on LAD).

Its definitely worth the $25.

Just curious as to why veryone seems to think LAD is so superior to RIR? I reckon RIR is great and is a better live album.
Although I also have all the tracks on RIR as mp3 files it is worth buying the album as the sound quality is soooo much better. Crank it up to 11, close your eyes and you could almost be there....

I think RiR is a better "live" album, in that it feels more like you are there at the gig. It has a fantastic atmosphere to it and i love it. I agree PIV, crank it up and you can 'feel' the vibe.

Live After Death, with its production is almost like it has been recorded 'live in a studio' and some crowd noise thrown in.

Mostly, the world slavery tour arguably has their best material on it, so every song on LAD is now classic Maiden and also, i think performance wise they were at their peak during that time.

I dont think anyone could disagree that the guitar playing of Smith & Murray on LAD is superior compared with the mostly Murray, Gers and little bit of Smith on RiR. You listen to some of the dodgy guitar work on RiR which is back in the mix but audible enough to know its Janick and his circus show.

The drums & bass on RiR is awesome, very powerful low end sound, much more accurate of what it is like to be at a live Maiden show.

They are both very different live albums and i 'em both for different reasons.