Roll Call: King Diamond at Center Stage

I'm really glad I got to see King Diamond before his hiatus, because it looks like I'll be missing this show. All the tickets sold out instantly, and even if they hadn't poverty would most likely have prevented me from buying one. *sigh* On the bright side, at least I know that I've seen Bethlehem, a band I never imagined I'd get to see. I'll always have Bethlehem. :D

Have fun, folks!

I'm travelling from Mexico City to be there as I do for Prog Power, this time I also got a ticket for the Falcons game on Sunday.

By the way Glen, hope you liked the tequila.

Francisco

Francisco! I never did find you at the festival to thank you. I have already enjoyed the gift at home!

I really hope we see each other at the show.

cheers,

Glenn

Last time I saw KD while supporting House of God, he played at Masquerade, and it was maybe half full. Without doing much in a way of album says afterwards it was interesting to see he was booked at Center Stage and sell it out.

Is it because he was gone for a long time or is this current trend ion the business side meaning concert ticket sales are on the rise while album sales slip ?

There's just been a big revival of interest in KD in recent years. The 2007 tour w/ Kreator that was cancelled would have never sold out the Masq.

I'll be there with the wife and another friend in tow :kickass:

Last time I saw KD while supporting House of God, he played at Masquerade, and it was maybe half full. Without doing much in a way of album says afterwards it was interesting to see he was booked at Center Stage and sell it out.

Is it because he was gone for a long time or is this current trend ion the business side meaning concert ticket sales are on the rise while album sales slip ?

I think it's a combination of being gone for a long time, plus the fact that he's playing on a Saturday night with no other dates anywhere near here. I would love to see a map of where all the ticket buyers for this show live. I'm sure there's plenty of people from Atlanta attending, but I'm also pretty certain a not insignificant number of people are traveling, as well.

Actually I can't go now. :(

If anyone in the PP Atlanta family needs a ticket let me know and I'll transfer it to you. Thanks!

Yeah, it totally ruled.
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

KING!

King Diamond made an incredible return to touring in North America last night to a sold out crowd of around 1200 people at Center Stage in midtown Atlanta. This time around he brought his full stage show (2 levels, backdrop changes, and assorted cast of characters).

Set:
1. The Candle
2. Sleepless Nights
3. Welcome Home
4. Never Ending Hill
Let It Be Done (pre-recorded-- not live)
5. The Puppet Master
6. At the Graves
7. Tea/Digging Graves/A Visit from the Dead (good sections of Tea & AVFTD were played, while just a brief part of DG was...)
8. Evil
9. Come to the Sabbath
10. Shapes of Black
11. Eye of the Witch

Encore:
12. Cremation
13. The Family Ghost
14. Black Horseman
Insanity (pre-recorded outro as band left stage)

Seeing King make his return to touring in the US post his triple bypass some years ago was incredible. Having seen King once solo before and also with Mercyful Fate on the 9 tour, I knew he could put on a great show and that the crowd would probably be pretty loud, but this was easily the best across the board. King had his two-tiered stage and numerous visits from Grandma throughout the evening. As King has done on his last couple tours, his wife was also on the side of the stage providing intermittent backing vocals/harmonies.

The initial portion of the show started with an 8 foot wrought iron fence on the front of the stage that remained in place until Let It Be Done. A large pentagram/goat's head hung in the middle, bookended by two upside down crosses. Grandma first came out in the wheelchair during Welcome Home. She made other appearances throughout the night, the best being during Cremation when King, Dr. Landau, and the Reverend Sammael forced her into a coffin. King proceeded to perform some magic, throwing some "fire" into the coffin which then began to smoke. The trio then dropped the sides of the casket to reveal a smoking skeleton which was pronounced dead by the good Dr. and numerous signs of the cross performed by the reverend. The woman who played Grandma also played a puppet, a ghost, bringer of tea, and other roles as needed.

Overall King and the entire band looked and sounded quite good-- Wead and Andy can obviously shred when needed, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The crowd was loud as hell, and sang most of the classics throuout the night (the Fate songs were particularly raucous).

Well worth the $50.

Merch was CASH ONLY:
T shirts $20/$25 (tour shirt, plain logo shirt, Fatal Portrait, Them, Give Me Your Soul, Abigail, one or two others
Long sleeve Halloween tour shirt $35
zip up hoodie $45
Beanie/scarf $30-$40 I think
Other odds and ends

Jess and the Ancient Ones sounded good, looked a little sedate, and the crowd was pretty polite to them, clapped after each song,etc. They played about 40-45 minutes-- they played:

Prayer for Death and Fire
Sulfur Giants
Devil (in G Minor)
Come Crimson Death

They also played 2 other songs I didn't know. They had a handful of shirts for $15-$20.

Awesome review! Always like to hear about the merch too. Unfortunately I couldn't make it. Fortunately I was able to sell my ticket and now make plans for Dallas instead. Will be cool to see the King in his adopted hometown.

I'm going to the Toronto show on the 18th. Last time I saw King was on the Voodoo tour in 98. This is one of the most anticipated shows of 2014 for me.

How long was King D's set? 90 minutes?

Also, what do you mean by Let It Be Done being pre-recorded? Did they go off stage during that whole song or what? o_O