Romeo's guitar style

Pharaoh

Oct 16, 2002
LITITZ, PA
Visit site
Let's talk about Romeo's style. He has a style and sound that is unmistakable. You would know a riff in a second. What do you find is unique about what he's doing? 2 things that come to mind for me are, the way he uses the electronics just perfectly for his note squeals, and also when he chooses to "hold" one note at just the right time, such as in "Witching Hour" (one that I can quickly think of)

Just an observation. Some of Stéphan Forté's work from Adagio sounds very similar to Mike Romeo's.

His legato and tapping definately do stand out the most to me. He has a very "Shawn Lane" quality to it, and some really nice ways of phrasing it. He's also got a sickly fluid right hand technique, which I notice doesn't seem to get mentioned quite as much as his legato/tapping stuff, maybe because oftentimes when he does do really fast alternate picking its kind of typical "neoclassical" Malmsteenish lines, so maybe it doesn't stand out as being anything unique, but its definately blistering. Also he has a very particular way of adding vibrato especially to his pinch harmonics that I think is really cool.

I agree with the tapping, that's a characteristic that makes his solos stand out as his style. But I also think his tone is unique...like on the Kotipelto solo album, I always knew which songs he played on just by his guitar sound. I really like his sound. :)

ı think he is very comfortoble with his instrument.he doesnt use any effort simply contrls his guitar he plays insane solos and still looks more comfortable then me playing a 3 chord song.ı like the way he uses harmonics(Alexi does that insanely good too)

Romeo plays effortlessly and it comes through in his sound. You don't notice his sick alternate picking because it's no big deal for him.

Besides his fluidity, which has already been talked about, I love his use of odd note groupings. Sea of Lies and Dragon's Den solos come to mind - descending 6-note scale fragments, ascending the scale, using 5 notes per beat. It boggles the mind. Plus the man's the king of writing riffs and rhythms with killer hemiola patterns, which he uses in countless songs.

Did anyone else notice that he shreds in every solo and it never gets repetitive and boring? Usually when people always shred, it sucks, and they need something slow and melodic once in a while. I never find myself saying, "I wish he would've slowed it down here - it would fit the song better." *shrug*

He's the man, that's for sure.

OfSinsAndShred said:
killer hemiola patterns, which he uses in countless songs.QUOTE]

hemiola patterns.......I had to go look that one up. I get it now.
I find it amazing how he could absorb so much from classical
works and adapt certain elements into guitar, metal shredding, no less.
"The Masters would be proud" :worship:

His rhythm tone is very unique for the genre. It has some Dimebag injected into it.

I agree with oSaS that he plays fast a lot and that it doesn't get boring.

The reason is because he has very diverse influences and draws upon them. In addition to that, he is technically so well rounded.

Most guys that play fast usually will only do one or two things at break-neck speed. They will either alternate pick, sweep, play legato, or tap and that is their trademark.

Romeo can do every technique at mach 12. He does so and mixes it up and that's why he is the best.

I think that tapping is one his strengths. His legato is incredibly fluid, and his alternate picking is amzingly accurate. I hear comparisons with Yngwie, of which I am not convinced. Romeo has a completely different tone, he does way more tapping and legato, and honestly, he has more accuracy on fast runs than Yngwie. Yngwie was great because he started a style, but guys have taken that to another level; ala Romeo! If you want to hear a Malmsteen clone, listen to George Bellas.

Anybody hear the latest from Malmsteen, Attack? He has taken his playing to another level and sounds scarier than I've heard in a long time. Comparing Malmsteen and Romeo is meaningless -they are two very distinct playing styles, though they are both heavily classically influenced.

I think Romeo's aggressiveness sets him apart from other players. From his rhythm playing to his shredding, he is very aggressive and in your face.

I just had to chime in with one other comment about Romeo's uniqueness.

Regarding his string-skip tapping arpeggios. They sound so different from the arpeggios that most guitarist do. That's because most guitarist sweep arpeggios and do either a major, minor, or diminished.

When romeo taps an arpeggio it is very often a variant of a 7th and not just a basic major or minor. The result is a sound that is very distinguished.

Airgeetar_freak said:
I think that tapping is one his strengths. His legato is incredibly fluid, and his alternate picking is amzingly accurate. I hear comparisons with Yngwie, of which I am not convinced. Romeo has a completely different tone, he does way more tapping and legato, and honestly, he has more accuracy on fast runs than Yngwie. Yngwie was great because he started a style, but guys have taken that to another level; ala Romeo! If you want to hear a Malmsteen clone, listen to George Bellas.

Romeo is better than Yngwie, I really think he's one of the best in the world.

His tapping is one of his strengths, I love how he taps arpeggios with such relative ease. However, he can also sweep like a motherfucker and just shred those neoclassical licks effortlessly and with such accuracy. He's the man. Hail.

Not only can he shred wie alle hoele, he has maximum chunk on some of the stuff, most notably the honorable fill in "Evolution", the beginning part of "Fallen" and throughout "Of Sins and Shadows"

SpiritCrusherX said:
Romeo is better than Yngwie, I really think he's one of the best in the world.

ı think no one can be better than Yngwie even if they are better than Yngwie(???) because Yngwies place is different he is the one who took this to another level if there were noYngwie we maybe wont be able to heare other shred stuff so early but thats ofcourse just my opinion ı also like Romeo more.

OK, here's something I'll mention about him. To whoever has met him and shook his hand, do you also feel like his hands and fingers are not the kind that you would ever think could handle a guitar neck like they do? It seems like it would be a major effort, but it's effortless to him. I'm amazed watching him when his brain, fingers, and emotions synchronize like that.