Romeo's (Unnecesary?) Guitar Bends

Jul 24, 2007
Virginia
I don't have my cds with me right now but check out a spot in Divine Wings of Tragedy around the 9:00 mark where him and Pinella trade off solos. At the end of Pinnela's he comes in with the braaaahh!!! to go into the next riff. He does it again in Through the Looking Glass at some point and also in Seven, and I'm sure he does it more. I'll put up the actual times if I get around to it. Anyway what do you all think about this? For some reason it bugs me a bit.

Adds a cool flavor to the song. It would be even better if it was actually the end of the guitar solo, but w/e.

i know what you're talking about but it's beyond me why it's even an issue. he uses the technique, it's different to just play the note unbended, he chose to bend.

Yeah, playing a high lead guitar note at the end of a keyboard solo isn't normally done (why wouldn't the keyboard just play it?), but I'm sure I know why he did it. The guitar's tone is much more intense, and more dynamic.

Ha, I actually think that's one of the cooler parts in the song.

Who cares? That's hyper critical. Just enjoy the music and don't shred it apart. It's not Mahler symphony. I think the mic picks him up farting at the end of the solo a 4:32...I think it's too much dairy.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it unprofessional; it's just his chosen style.

Just sayin'.

During some of the older solos, i.e. the one's referenced in this thread, I've always gotten a feel as if the guitar and keys almost mock each other a bit, and therefore I've always felt the tone and placement of every note was precisely placed.

ok i admit unprofessional was the wrong term and obviously i respect romeo i just find that aspect of his style (random?, odd?, why cant the keyboard do it since it was his solo that just finished?, etc.) I guess I won't post new threads that only contain negative criticism as they dont seem very desired but I do think it is important for myself at least to understand that one of my favorite bands and guitarists is not perfect.

yea hyper-critical is my middle name, just the way i am. anyway my honest opinion is that its not that professional.

Really..."unprofessional"...in this context, what exactly does that mean? There is some professional conduct in the creation of laying down a solo?...that's simply ridiculous. He didn't cut it out, he liked it...if you don't, don't listen to it.

"That final cadence ending on the fifth instead of resolving to the root is unprofessional, don't you think, Amadeus?" Come on...it's a fucking guitar solo and this dude is making a living doing it. Unprofessional...that doesn't even make sense. If instead of a bend they had a baby pig squeal, or a turd dropping in the bowl, maybe you'd have an argument.

Music is art. Is Zappa singing about sex with appliances "unprofessional"? You can ruin almost anything by nitpicking it to death. You should hang out in the Opeth forum.:lol:

Let's hear your superior version....until then, Romeo's is fine.

ok i admit unprofessional was the wrong term and obviously i respect romeo i just find that aspect of his style (random?, odd?, why cant the keyboard do it since it was his solo that just finished?, etc.) I guess I won't post new threads that only contain negative criticism as they dont seem very desired but I do think it is important for myself at least to understand that one of my favorite bands and guitarists is not perfect.

Ooops...sorry...went on that rant before I saw this.

At any rate...there's probably someone who thinks that the points you deem as imperfect are the greatest parts of the album.

Again...it's art...it's subjective...there is no "perfect".

I guess I won't post new threads that only contain negative criticism as they dont seem very desired but I do think it is important for myself at least to understand that one of my favorite bands and guitarists is not perfect.

if he were perfect he would have nothing to write about.

Really..."unprofessional"...in this context, what exactly does that mean? There is some professional conduct in the creation of laying down a solo?...that's simply ridiculous. He didn't cut it out, he liked it...if you don't, don't listen to it.

"That final cadence ending on the fifth instead of resolving to the root is unprofessional, don't you think, Amadeus?" Come on...it's a fucking guitar solo and this dude is making a living doing it. Unprofessional...that doesn't even make sense. If instead of a bend they had a baby pig squeal, or a turd dropping in the bowl, maybe you'd have an argument.

Music is art. Is Zappa singing about sex with appliances "unprofessional"? You can ruin almost anything by nitpicking it to death. You should hang out in the Opeth forum.:lol:

Let's hear your superior version....until then, Romeo's is fine.

Yes again I apologize, "unprofessional" was the wrong word. I meant this thread to be a like "ooh yea interesting I recognize that this is what I think blah blah" but I think I stated my opinion too harshly. I understand music is a subjective art (what an immense conversation topic - should be a thread on this) Anyway keep burning me everyone if you like but I'm done trying to fix what I've said. On your Opeth reference, yes I probably should but I'm pretty depressed Peter and Martin are gone.

Yes again I apologize, "unprofessional" was the wrong word. I meant this thread to be a like "ooh yea interesting I recognize that this is what I think blah blah" but I think I stated my opinion too harshly. I understand music is a subjective art (what an immense conversation topic - should be a thread on this) Anyway keep burning me everyone if you like but I'm done trying to fix what I've said. On your Opeth reference, yes I probably should but I'm pretty depressed Peter and Martin are gone.

I gotcha...it's all good. I was making a joke about the Opus thing because they're super critical and analytical...it takes the fun out of it and creates ridiculously boring threads.

If you saw the progression of metal guitar from the late 70's to present like I have...you would all be less critical. My main criticism is alway the lack of feel, emotion and dynamic touch in players today, but I search and find. Sweeps and string skipping are all great and I toy with it as well. The more tools and the easier one can execute multiple techniques, the better one can express. I look to be touched not dazzled. I can be wowed and I take nothing from the highly technical shredders...I love listening watching and taking a stab at it myself, but at the end of the day I want to be moved.

Anyway, my point is that tearing apart every note these guys play makes me nuts. I love hearing mistakes on recordings...sometimes they sound great and add an element of reality. You need to see the whole picture not worry about one bend or what gauge string that guy is using. I think if players were less worried about that crap and just played...we'd hear more soulful playing these days.

Check this out and be wowed. http://youtube.com/watch?v=F7m3aIuGlUg That's as neo classical shred as it gets!