Romeo's Orchestra arrangments

mesaandrew

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2005
I was wondering what Michael Romeo uses for his orchestra stuff he does like in the Odyssey or in the segues for "V". Is it a program or a keyboard? Becuase I find some of the stuff he does with it extremely diffucult to do on a keyboard

Well i dunno exactly, but i read he was using 3 or two computers to record the album, and he mentioned 1 or 2 were specially used for the orchestrations becaused it took a lot of power from the pc. Therefore, i guess he used a program to orchestrate it hehe. But we better wait for someone wiser... :Spin:

I presume he uses MIDI orchestration run though (as an example) an XV-5080. At least, that's what I use (though I personally think he could have used better samples, but that's just being nit-picky).

EDIT: Ahem, started the reply before there were any - ate dinner - replied - then noticed all the other replies. D'oh! :loco:

Lol you never read any of the interviews on this site?

For odyssey they used Gigastudio and Neuondo(or however its spelt) Its not played on keyboard... But its not impossible, Since they can play most of the Odyssey Live... If you wanna see a big differince between their live stuff and their studio stuff! Get 'Live: On The Edge Of Forever' great album... Umm so yeh for the Odyssey they did all the recording and editing in MJR's very own home, he has three computers and he recoreded the shit, and edited the orchastrated stuff as he needed :)

It is obvious that Michael Romeo is a computer freak :D Man, i wonder if he knows any programming language. Don't be surprised if you see a "MJR virus" in the future :D

Just kiddin...

V was done pretty much by real instruments!!! ESPECIALLY the Keyboards..

The odyssey was done with computer programs, yeh-MJR aint a computer freak, he just knows how to use the music program, for example-some people can make hacks, some can work music prgrams, some can win at StarCraft, some can't even do digital editing! Its how the cookie crumbles my friend

proulxski said:
V was done pretty much by real instruments!!! ESPECIALLY the Keyboards..

The odyssey was done with computer programs, yeh-MJR aint a computer freak, he just knows how to use the music program, for example-some people can make hacks, some can work music prgrams, some can win at StarCraft, some can't even do digital editing! Its how the cookie crumbles my friend

Erm, explain how keyboards are more "real" than software samplers.

Yeh what i meant was, The keyboards where actually being played throug-out V, since its known to be more of keyboard album that makes Pinnella shine more! The Odyssey, alot of the intros and shit wasn't Pinnella it was all MIDI format, done on Romeo's computer programs!

I have always thought Pinnella plays every keyboard sounds on the albums. That is very sad for me. Cause I like his solo work much.

proulxski said:
Yeh what i meant was, The keyboards where actually being played throug-out V, since its known to be more of keyboard album that makes Pinnella shine more! The Odyssey, alot of the intros and shit wasn't Pinnella it was all MIDI format, done on Romeo's computer programs!

I'm willing to bet, though, that Pinnella didn't play the orchestral stuff on V, he sequenced it, like Romeo sequenced the stuff on The Odyssey. It's simply much easier to do that in the studio than to try to play it all. It makes sense to play the solos and leads, y'know, to show off your chops, but it doesn't make much sense to play layers and layers of orchestration, when sequencing it would be a lot more practical.

rockyracoon said:
on the SX fan club cd, MRJ does guitars, bass, keys, and drum programming on the demo version of Inferno, and the demo of Odyssey Intro...what CANT he do?
Romeo did all that on the demo version of Disillusioned, the first demo they sent to the record label. This is because at the time the band was just made up of Romeo, Rod Tyler, and Thomas Miller. I don't have the liner notes for the fan club CD near by, but I'm pretty sure he didn't do all that on the others. After all, the purpose of the demos is so the band can get an accurate idea of how the song is, wouldn't they want everyone playing their parts?

But yeah, the man can do just about anything.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Romeo did all that on the demo version of Disillusioned, the first demo they sent to the record label. This is because at the time the band was just made up of Romeo, Rod Tyler, and Thomas Miller. I don't have the liner notes for the fan club CD near by, but I'm pretty sure he didn't do all that on the others. After all, the purpose of the demos is so the band can get an accurate idea of how the song is, wouldn't they want everyone playing their parts?

But yeah, the man can do just about anything.

well im staring at the liner note RIGHT NOW, and he certainly did do all that on the others...guess your Sx fan club cd didnt come yet.