Rough mix/master from the studio. Totally raw tracks.

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
I know there's been talk about what raw tracks sound like if tracked properly and whatnot. Well I thought I'd use this opportunity to see what ya'll think of them.

There is no EQ on any of the drums or guitar (except the kick). Things sound kinda bass-heavy for now. There isn't much editing done on the guitars, just real basic stuff, and they still have to be cleaned up. The drums in "Home" are about 80% edited. Still gotta fix some of the dynamics so that it doesn't sounds so robotic. Only the kick is edited in "All Fall Down." Everything is very, very raw right now....like....we just tracked and bounced this about...2 hours ago. Still need to write and track some of the synth/strings/piano parts, so it'll sound like some things are missing. Oh...and there isn't even any bass on these tracks yet. There's some room on the kit and acoustic.

BTW the kick is stacked...but it's stacked with a sample of our drummer's kick drum with a different mic position. That is all his kick, at the moment.

Guitars were as follows:
PRS Single Cut
2 PRS Custom 22's
Takamine Acoustic

Cab: Bogner Ubercab, V30 miced with TLM103 and SM57 through a Neve Portico into Pro Tools.

Amps:
Left is Bogner Uberschall and SLO100, right is Dual Recto 3 channel and SLO100. The Single Cut was used through the Uber and the Mesa. It was used for all overdubs and leads (Mesa and Soldano respectively). The Custom 22's were used through the SLO. Rhythms are double tracked on each side. Cleans were the CU22's (sometimes tapped) through the Mesa's clean channel.

All Fall Down
Home

Opinions welcome (and wanted!), any questions, just ask!

Oh, and some eye candy:

DSC_2634.jpg

i only listened to the first track, but so far it sounds great. i'd say there's a bit too much room on the kick drum, but that's still an awesome sounding kick. the guitars sound a little too low-midrangy even for raw tracks, but i've worked with worse and gotten good results in the end.

I totally agree about the room on the kick. The co-engineer/owner of the studio is an absolute 80's freak (odd considering that he's 21 and looks like a hardcore dude). He's really big on that giant "Motley Crue" drum/room sound. I hate it, personally, but I let him do what he likes until we start seriously mixing haha. Yea, they're definitely low mid heavy. I think it might have something to do with the way the SM57 and TLM 103 were mixed together, and with the Uberschall and Mesa EQ's. The presence knob on that Uber really seems to emphasize the low mids. We did a DI track from the amps to mix in some impulse action if we need it. I might mess around with those to see if I can balance things out. Also might try mixing the Uber and Mesa lower, and letting the Soldano carry the tracks, if you will. Utilize the others for the body of the tone. Right now, all the amps are mixed at basically the same level. We'll see how it goes, definitely a learning experience for myself, as I've been engineering the majority of the sessions. This is kind of my test to see if the owner of the studio is going to hire me or not.