Route Nine vocals??

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
In the song "Before I Close My Eyes", does Dan do all the vocals? If so, WOW, those super deep clean vocals are amazing!

Also: can anyone suggest any other bands similar to Route Nine? I REALLY like the band, and am curious if there are any other bands like this. I've never listened to metal quite like this before.

Well, I don't know where you can by any Route Nine stuff, so I downloaded it on soulseek. If anyone knows where to buy it, I surely will cause i LOVE it. If it's not for sale anymore, then I'd be glad to share the mp3's with Dan's permission.

Dan released a Route Nine CD called "The Works" back in 2001, which consists of 6 songs recorded between 1991-94, I do believe. Anders Jacobsson (ex-Nasum) plays drums, and Dan does everything else. One of my very favorite projects of Dan's, he was really onto something there. You could try contacting Dan to see if he has any copies left, perhaps?

TOMASZ KACZOREK said:
i bougth it from Dan about four years ago if you want i can give you a copy .

Well, thanks, but I have the songs, I got them off soulseek. What I'm looking for is an actual copy of the release. If by give me a copy you mean, an actual copy of the release and not just a bootleg, then sure!:)

Hello,

thought I should give you a complete run down on the whole Route Nine thing since there seem to be some interest in the forum and not many people really know anything about it.

Dan and I first did a session in 1990 I think. It was four death metal songs that was sort of released under the monicker Masticate. We were very inspired by the debute albums from Deicide and Cannibal Corpse and did some satanic zombie thing with harmonized vocals. It didn't sound much like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse, but at least it was something.

The next time we got together we decided to do something completely different instead of trying to do something we couldn't do. We were both very openminded when it came to music so what we did was sort of death metal with the doors open to whatever we liked. In interviews I coined it as "open minded death metal". It was quite interesting though because we came to the studio with nothing prepared and came out with something that felt really odd and not exactly "1991". I really liked Dan's thrash vocals that he used only for Route Nine.

This session included two songs - "Disruption" and "The vacancy". The recording was never released but it was sent out to tapetraders as the "Disrupted vacancy" demo.

The second Route Nine session was another two song recording that was released as the 7" EP "Before I close my eyes forever" by Inorganic Records from Sweden (now No Tolerance Records). We went into the studio with nothing again and came out with something! Death metal seasoned with Voivod and My Bloody Valentine flavours. The tracks were "Before I close my eyes forever - part I" and "Before I close my eyes forever - part II"

After this release we almost got a record deal and Dan wrote a song that he recorded a little demo of and sent to me. It was just guitars and programmed drums. This song was never used, as nothing happened with the eventual record deal and we used only one riff from the song to our third (and latest) session. The songs this time were "Griefcase" and "Lifewish".

After that nothing really happened with Route Nine until a couple of years ago when Dan went through his "remaster everything" phase and told me that he planed to remaster all the old R9 recordings and collect them on one CDR. Sounded good to me and I designed a cover for the release (that originally came in a DVD-case) called "The works". The songs were placed in reversed order and Dan did a small edit in one of the "Before I close..." tracks.

So that's it. The only "real" thing that exists is the 7" and the burnt CDR with all the songs. There are a few copies of the 7" left so if you want to buy a copy you should contact me for details. Perhaps Dan and I can sign the 7" if that is interesting...?